Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Model 7 in Remington 260 that I want to change to a caliber that shoots a heavier bullet. I’m thinking KISS and re-barrel to a 308 Win. I will keep the same stock and barrel taper and length of 20”. Thoughts? Barrel brand? I have a gunsmith that will perform the change.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
While I agree the 7mm-08 is perfect, the .260 is just as deadly to deer. Also, that .260 in the Model 7 makes it VERY valuable - probably a $100 premium over any other caliber. I'd hate to ruin the value unless the barrel was already shot out.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Do you reload? What is your current barrel twist rate? As DoyleAlley said, is the barrel shot out? What are you wanting to hunt?

If you reload, stay with that 260. If you need to re-barrel, go to a 1:8 twist if you don't already have that. You will be able to stabilize 140 grain bullets. There's not a whitetail on earth that you need more than that to kill. A 140gn Hornady SST over 43.5gn of Rel19 is death incarnate to deer and hogs out of my 260.

While you can assuredly shoot larger with a 308, you don't need it unless you plan to hunt large game like elk.

A 6.5mm bullet, weight for weight, is ballistically superior to a 308 bullet.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Cartridge and caliber comparisons...boy there's a topic that will forever be argued. For me it's become like politics: You're not going to change anyone's mind, so why bother?

Mr. Drysdale, I've always hated to see people offer answers that don't address the question, but in this case I'm going to echo what Doyle said: Given the value of that sweet Model 7 as-is (and assuming for a moment that the cartridge change won't result in more venison in the freezer), I really think I'd leave it alone and scratch that itch a different way.

Of course...it's YOUR gun, so you can do whatever the heck you want. But my .02 to the conversation is: leave that 260 alone.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I have no doubt the 260 is the bomb on Whitetails. If you have followed me very long you know that I own five rifles in that caliber. My current (three) Model Sevens will not shoot the 140 grain pills. And while I like the 120 grain Barnes TTSX my middle grandson wants something different. I personally have killed a dump truck full of Whitetails with the Model 7. Had not thought about re-barreling to the 1:8 twist. So now it is change twist, 7-08 or 308!?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I have no doubt the 260 is the bomb on Whitetails. If you have followed me very long you know that I own five rifles in that caliber. My current (three) Model Sevens will not shoot the 140 grain pills. And while I like the 120 grain Barnes TTSX my middle grandson wants something different. I personally have killed a dump truck full of Whitetails with the Model 7. Had not thought about re-barreling to the 1:8 twist. So now it is change twist, 7-08 or 308!?
You wouldn't regret the 1:8 twist. My Tikka puts the 140SST's sub 1/2moa. Now, if the grandson wants something different, why not go more interesting than a .308? That's about as mundane as you can get, other than a 223rem.

Maybe a 257 Roberts... I realize that's going smaller instead of bigger, but it'd be way more interesting than a .308 would be. I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that a 257 Roberts will work with a 308 family bolt.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You wouldn't regret the 1:8 twist. My Tikka puts the 140SST's sub 1/2moa. Now, if the grandson wants something different, why not go more interesting than a .308? That's about as mundane as you can get, other than a 223rem.

Maybe a 257 Roberts... I realize that's going smaller instead of bigger, but it'd be way more interesting than a .308 would be. I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that a 257 Roberts will work with a 308 family bolt.
I've not owned a 257 Robert's but was under the impression it was long action?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.