Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do y’all carry your squirrels? I have been using a backpack and keeping them in a plastic bag. But my shoulders and neck are starting to hurt (not from too many squirrels) so I got a hip pack. I carried mine on a fish stringer set up and hanging from my belt yesterday. It worked great but by the time I got back to the truck the first one I shot was completely stiff and getting nasty. I had hunted a lot longer than I usually do (630AM-3PM). The first one I got at 7AM. It was around 65 degrees for most of the time. Any secrets to keeping them fresh longer?

·
Registered
819 Posts
I use a dove vest and just carry them in the back. It's light and doesn't heat me up too much. I have used a backpack and plastic bag and like that way too.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I only dog hunt so I always wear an orange vest even when I don't have to but currently I'm using a chepo walmart orange vest. I am about to either get the Carlton Savoy hunting vest or Dan's Summer vest that has the game bag. I want something that has a holder for my Garmin Alpha, game bag and big pocket for shells. A back pack would cover all those except for the garmin holder.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I use a game vest squirrel hunting. Holds bullets, water, and dead tree rats.
I've also used a duck tote to carry them when not using a vest. Not sure what you can do to keep them fresh, that's a LONG squirrel hunt lol.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks y’all. That was the longest I ever squirrel hunted in one go. Not a normal day. I hunted yesterday from 6:30 until 2. Both days were just too nice to go home.
I stopped by the truck at 12 and cleaned the 3 I had then went back in. Unfortunately I did not get anymore. They were all on the ground and I can’t get close enough for the 410.

·
Administrator
8,595 Posts
I use an old filson dove vest for doves, squirrel and rabbit. Holds a few shells and drinks in the front pouch pockets and the game goes in the back pouch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts