Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
turkeys are incredibly creatures and extremely resilient. Yes, adult gobbler carryover is going to suck. If he is gobbling this spring, someone is hunting him til he goes quiet!!! But i suspect it won't all be doom and gloom like some are making it out to be. Guess we will just have to wait and see.
^^^^this^^^^

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Killing 50-100 more birds in a county that didn't the previous season is pretty astronomical honestly if they make it those numbers.
That actually isn't too terribly uncommon given the cyclic nature of turkey populations. One or two good hatches can lead to rather large harvest increases two years later when those birds are 2 years old. Then you get the compounding nature of more hens to breed.

I've been tracking other state's harvests in spreadsheets for over a decade. Its pretty eye opening what a good hatch (or especially consecutive good hatches!) can do.

And believe it or not, several states predicted this would be a great spring before Corona. I knew it would be in two neighboring states just going off the data.

Even MDWFP predicted a pretty good spring for the south half of the state:

https://www.mdwfp.com/media/news/wildlife-hunting/2020-spring-turkey-season-forecast/

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
The most dangerous effect for public lands, in my opinion, is the number of new turkey hunters we may have gained this spring. Folks off work who've never turkey hunted, started to turkey hunt. We all know how addicting the gobble is. I suspect many of them will get addicted and continue to turkey hunt in the future springs. Public land is already crowded enough, and now there is potential for it to become even more crowded in the future.

That is just the selfish side of me though. After battling record-breaking crowds in multiple states this spring..And having two 'close-calls' where I could have gotten shot.. I sure do miss the days before turkey hunting became the cool thing to do. I'm also tired of having to arrive at gates at 3:30AM (or even earlier) just to get the spot I want. The new hunters won't be much danger to the birds, but they can be dangerous to other people. A lot of them aren't aware of the 'unwritten ethics'. Then throw in the extra pressure of constantly bumping birds.... Just makes it more difficult for everyone. But this is the public land turkey hunting of the future and I'll have to quit crying and just accept it.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
What do you know about Jakes breeding hens DH88? Have you seen any studies on that?

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
What do you know about Jakes breeding hens DH88? Have you seen any studies on that?
Yes I have. I don't recall the exact specifics (locations, # in the studies, etc.) but I'm pretty sure a rather small % can be fertile. I'd have to do more research into it. I'm sure it can vary across regions, hatch dates, population dynamics, etc.

While we are on that subject, I'm amazed at how many people are suddenly turkey biologists because of a few podcasts. [laugh]

Ambusher said it best with "there are very few absolutes in wildlife biology".

·
Registered
656 Posts
That actually isn't too terribly uncommon given the cyclic nature of turkey populations. One or two good hatches can lead to rather large harvest increases two years later when those birds are 2 years old. Then you get the compounding nature of more hens to breed.

I've been tracking other state's harvests in spreadsheets for over a decade. Its pretty eye opening what a good hatch (or especially consecutive good hatches!) can do.

And believe it or not, several states predicted this would be a great spring before Corona. I knew it would be in two neighboring states just going off the data.

https://www.mdwfp.com/media/news/wildlife-hunting/2020-spring-turkey-season-forecast/
It's been years since I have seen successful hatches like I saw repeatedly in the 80 and 90s.

·
Registered
9,755 Posts

It's been years since I have seen successful hatches like I saw repeatedly in the 80 and 90s.
Mid to late 80s furbearer prices were very high and every one with a trap was catching nest raiders.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I can only speak to the areas I hunt but I haven't noticed a giant increase in public land hunters this year. I do see a few more trucks during the week but not many. I did notice quite a few Alabama tags during the first week. Can't say that I've ever seen very many of them in the past. I assume this was a result of the later opening. I haven't traveled to any other states.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts

I read that not long after it was published and was left wondering what part of "South MS" that pertained to. It certainly doesn't align with what I've experienced in my neck of South MS. They don't seem to be gaining any ground on making a comeback across the 20K+ acres of public and private I have access to in my home county.

·
Registered
287 Posts

I read that not long after it was published and was left wondering what part of "South MS" that pertained to. It certainly doesn't align with what I've experienced in my neck of South MS. They don't seem to be gaining any ground on making a comeback across the 20K+ acres of public and private I have access to in my home county.
Well It happened where I'm at. In the worst year possible for it to happen. The early season weekend warriors heard way to much and they brought friends who were sitting at home doing nothing. DH1988 said it all the "gobble is addictive" they won't hurt the birds to much other than booger them up. Though some catch on quick ..... the main problem is getting people to stop at 3. I know where several gobbling turkeys are they are begging me to bring them and I won't do it. I'm talking about People I grew up with since I could walk..... "New Turkey Hunters ". They can learn like i did

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Yep, the gobble is addictive..So how bout we work on pushing for a tagging system instead of discouraging others from turkey hunting..I assure you noone is going to discourage me from hunting, and that's true for everybody else..

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Yep, the gobble is addictive..So how bout we work on pushing for a tagging system instead of discouraging others from turkey hunting..I assure you noone is going to discourage me from hunting, and that's true for everybody else..
what exactly do you mean. our current system is mandatory. You have to tag the bird physically or on the app before moving the animal, and you have until 10pm to get a confirmation number. If you were caught with a bird before 10pm without the printed out harvest record or having used the app to tag it...you would be in violation. I know theres ways around that and the chances of being checked especially if you are close to home are very slim...but lets say it was 100% mandatory paper tags.....what would be the difference ? chances of being checked would be just as slim? Im just curious as to what your opinion is on mandatory tags that is different than what is currently in place and how it would be enforced?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
what exactly do you mean. our current system is mandatory. You have to tag the bird physically or on the app before moving the animal, and you have until 10pm to get a confirmation number. If you were caught with a bird before 10pm without the printed out harvest record or having used the app to tag it...you would be in violation. I know theres ways around that and the chances of being checked especially if you are close to home are very slim...but lets say it was 100% mandatory paper tags.....what would be the difference ? chances of being checked would be just as slim? Im just curious as to what your opinion is on mandatory tags that is different than what is currently in place and how it would be enforced?
Please explain further? I certainly wasnt given any paper tags when I bought my license. I have reported my kills before 10 PM on the day of the kill, but there was no confirmation number to go along with anything. It was just type in that you killed one on the mdwfp app, that's it. I did keek a harvest record form but never found where to put that information.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Please explain further? I certainly wasnt given any paper tags when I bought my license. I have reported my kills before 10 PM on the day of the kill, but there was no confirmation number to go along with anything. It was just type in that you killed one on the mdwfp app, that's it. I did keek a harvest record form but never found where to put that information.
If you reported on the app the confirmation pops up immediately when you put in the info and submit it or that's how all mine have done and I screen shot it.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
1. Tap on MDWFP App
2. Tap "Game Check"
3. Tap "Previous Reports"
4. You'll see your harvest reports listed by date first then confirmation #'s
5. Tap on a specific date to see the specific info you submitted.

No need to keep a physical harvest report if you submitted via the app.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
you have to print them off the mdwfp website, if you participate in the gobbler survey it also comes with 3 in the back. if you didn't get a confirmation number when you logged it in the app then you need to call the 1-800 be smart and figure out whats going on because your bird is not tagged....I had a bird last year that I used the app for in an area with no service and it allowed me to log the bird but as of 9pm I still had no confirmation number so I had to call them and they got me one. its easy. I use the app for all mine , however its not a bad idea to keep a paper copy in your vest in case you decide to give your phone a swim.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
https://www.mdwfp.com/wildlife-hunting/game-check/game-check-instructions/

BEFORE YOU GO HUNTING
Obtain a hunting license (unless exempt) and harvest record. Two types of harvest records are acceptable, a digital record or a printed form. Digital record keeping may be done through the Game Check feature
found within the free MDWFP app. Register in the app and it will be your official harvest record. If you prefer a printed form, you can download the form here.
WHEN YOU HARVEST A TURKEY
The reporting process must begin BEFORE you move the turkey from its harvest location. Using the Game Check feature on the MDWFP app, click the REPORT TURKEY button and complete and submit an entry. If there is no cellular coverage where you hunt, the app will automatically upload your harvest when coverage resumes.
Using the printed form method, the reporting process must begin BEFORE you move the turkey from its harvest location. The printed form method can be done on a simple piece of paper and does not require an official game check form. You must record your name, license number, address, phone number, and date of the harvest on the printed form. You will also need to know the beard length, spur length, and the county of harvest when you report your harvest through the MDWFP website at mwdfp.com/gamecheck or by calling 1-800-BE-SMART.
AFTER YOUR HUNT
Using the Game Check feature on the MDWFP app, you have no additional requirements. Using the printed form method, you must report the harvest through the MDWFP website at mwdfp.com/gamecheck or by calling 1-800-BE-SMART before 10 p.m. on the day of harvest.
THERE ARE THREE WAYS TO REPORT:
MDWFP app
Online at mdwfp.com/gamecheck
Call 1-800-BE-SMART
Once you complete the harvest-reporting process, you will receive a confirmation number. This number must be documented on the harvest record.

Here is the link, and I copy and pasted the page of the reporting requirements. You can also open up the PDF for the harvest record on this page. I tried to attach the havest record as an attachment but it exceeds the file size for PDF for this platform.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
It's very simple , I called my 3 in on cell phone upon harvest. They answered phone promptly every time .
Now , I called in 2 different game violations ..neither where taken care of and I never received a phone call back from neither Jackson , or the wardens I called [angry][angry]. Very disappointed,, but not surprised !

41 - 60 of 61 Posts