Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Hey I appreciate the encouraging words! Looks like we are leaving now on Saturday so that likely means we spend most of Friday pulling stands. In reality just three more full days of hunting ....counting today!

Yesterday I went to the stick blind that morning and came really close to releasing an arrow. I had watched another covey of quail and a rooster pheasant come around my blind (not at the same time) so I was enjoying the morning hunt. About 8:30 I heard something right behind me going through the weeds. It passed me without being seen due to the super thick grass and brush.

Just a few minutes later, I saw a tall tined buck with good mass coming from my right on the beach. I was just about to get ready to shoot when I noticed his spread was extremely tight...maybe only 13 inches which gave him
A very odd look. I never pulled back and he stopped in my shooting lane at 14 yards. As he hit my wind and retreated I instantly had second thoughts as he would have been my second best buck...but he would have been a 35 minute fast walk from the truck....and still not what I really wanted.

I went to another location yesterday afternoon due to a wind change and saw three doe and another covey of quail. (Did I say this place has quail!!)

Back to the stand near a corn field that I hunted Sunday and saw everything but a deer. It’s an all dayer in a 30 mile an hour wind. Update tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Hanging on to my tree in a wind gale.........

So far I have seen two separate doe deer very early this morning. I did see the mature buck I was looking for.....in the parking lot of the walk in access point. A real nice buck that I would tag anytime; anywhere.

One of the great things for me personally about the daily updates is I can go back and read and re-live the events in the future. In that regard kind of like a photo album... without the pictures.

One of the things that I’ve mentioned quite a few times is how much the wind blows here. It cuts through you like a knife; cracks your face and lips until you bleed. It’s uncomfortable; if not in fact borderline brutal.

The wind here on a calm day is 10 to 20. A “breezy” day to the locals is 20 to 30 mph. One out of about every four days is 30 to 40 mph and on those days you have 50+ mph gust. That makes hanging in the stand hard; and a pee bottle completely useless if you get what I mean.

Today’s wind is of the 30 mph variety. I’m next to a dead snag that I uncomfortably keep an eye on. I’m not sure why as if it falls in my direction ...the daily updates will surely come to an abrupt end😀

However, Saturday evening and night was the 50mph stuff. I set my stand and never stepped foot in it as I didn’t trust the step transfer off the ladder to the platform. That night my Kodiak canvas tent was in for all it could stand. At the height of the wind storm I would spread my arms across the inside of the tent to push back against the wind. The wind was kicking the tent so hard that it launched everything out of the overhead gear rack into to floor of the tent. At 9pm everything passed and I no longer felt like the Dutch boy plugging the leaking dike with his fingers.

Just FYI in regard to the winds..... barns here are not roofed with tin like back home. I’m told that that construction method is no longer recommended😀

I guess the last thing I want to know is how come the MRE add water heating bags made for civilians take 10 minutes to start to heat, only to eventually heat the bottom of your food lukewarm while the top stays cold?I knead the bag as the directions say and get a product that is somewhere between room temperature ....and lukewarm. I miggt as well save the trouble and eat them cold. Regardless I’m one hour from crawling down from the tree; ripping a MRE bag open and repeating the same daily process. Insanity, they say, is doing the same thing over and over...and expecting a different result.....hmmmm

That’s probably it for today unless I have a “grip and grin” photo. Later!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
The MRE heating bag worked no better than the others (see yesterday’s post) I believe that you probably need a deluxe military decoder ring or a fraternal secret hand shake to activate them....,,

Yesterday afternoon kicked off pretty good about 5:15. I first saw a frantic doe; then followed by a pretty decent 8 point. They were slightly out of bow range, but were fun to watch.

Closer to the end of my shooting time, I heard a rustle and the unmistakable sounds of deer footsteps headed in my direction. I saw the buck deer feeding toward my tree; just catching a glint of antler as he moved through the under brush. I was putting tension on the bow string. He stepped out no more than 20 yards away. Then I got a great look....way too small... just a 5 point. Not a shooter. Oh well it did provide a moment of excitement after sitting in the tree all day!

Today I’m going to hunt that stand again this morning then pull it out at lunch. I’m going to use my Walthrop seat the balance of the hunt. Looks like my last hunt on Friday morning will be back at the stick blind on the beach. The wind will be out of the northeast for the first time allowing deer to approach me from both sides; effectively doubling my odds.

Later!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Given that we aren’t hunting this afternoon (winds 40 to 50 mph) we used the afternoon to pull some stands from the woods to facilitate our departure Saturday.

The morning hunt was more like a supreme effort to not get blown out of the stand as opposed to a real hunt. I guess I’ve said enough about the wind; but it has such an impact on your ability to safely hunt.

It looks like my last best chance will come Friday morning. For the first time in the two weeks I’ve been here, the wind comes out of the NE which will allow deer to approach the stick blind at the beach from either side. Up until now they could only walk up the beach from my left as anything coming from my right usually caught my scent before reaching my shooting window. Let’s hope the wind forecast stays true. Might shoot the tight racked 8 if he comes by again.

Tomorrow I will take my Waldrop seat and climb into a dead fall where I have seen several deer over the last few hunts before I pulled the ladder. The Waldrop pac-seat is a marvelous invention that allows good bow clearance from the ground and is extremely comfortable and weighs like a feather. I’ve found it very effective and I tend to use it more each season.

I guess the big news today is we have a fellow from Colorado in the campground that we have been sharing stories with and we often strategize the next hunts together. He’s a daylight to dark kind of guy and works hard to stay on the deer. He been a lot like me in that he is seeing tons of deer but no shooters. Well today, at 8:30 he planned to climb out of the tree as the wind had gotten dangerous. As his bow hit the ground; he looked up to see a big 10 (150 class) buck 30 yards away coming to him. Of course the gig was up when he tried to retrieve his bow. Isn’t that like hunting? I mean you sit 150 hours in a treestand over two weeks to be busted in the 20 seconds your not ready!

One and a half more days! Later!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
I really think this is normal. This is wide open blue sky country that nothing impedes the wind. We spent the night on the way up in the guest house of a lady who grew up in Enterprise Ms. When I asked her how a girl from Enterprise likes the wind swept plains of Kansas she said the winds were rough but she loved the offset of being able to see the horizon in all directions. She said she thought one time she had had enough of Kansas but upon returning to Ms, she felt closed in because she could not see very far. She also she had forgotten what humidity felt
like:) she moved back to Kansas

Interesting also is that all the wind has been happening with brilliantly clear skies. It’s only sprinkled in two weeks....once.

I sit here in the predawn and the roar of the wind is heard outside; but the tent is relatively still. The wind today is only suppose to be 10 to 20 so it should be a great day to hunt!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Living down south I never gave it much thought about how open and relatively flat Ks is. I have passed through there a couple times on my way to other destinations but never spent any time there.

The majority of my hunts this season so far the winds have been really calm here. I'm sure that will change shortly as the fronts start rolling through later in the season.

Good luck today.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Well as they often say, the fat lady hasn’t sang but she is definitely warming up! Today was enjoyable but I didn’t see a deer the entire day from my blinds. This morning,I enjoyed great concealment in a toppled cottonwood that I was practically invisible in. I never had a chance to find out how it would have worked on a deer...though I think it would have been great! This afternoon I had a deer blowing at me in a different location but I never saw it. Ground hunting isn’t tried much by many folks but I’ve had quite good luck with it.

The guy from Colorado had a huge racked buck come by his treestand. today. He even took a picture with his phone and showed me....just one problem....he only had one side of his rack! I think I would have shot him at this late date in the hunt.

Tomorrow morning may be my last hunt but it arrives with great hope. The stick blind has been a consistent producer of sightings for bucks except for one time. The wind is right and it’s rested for a couple of days. Maybe this hunt ends like so
many articles and tv shows where the big one is killed in the 11th hour on the last day!

Stay tuned for the last and final update tomorrow afternoon! Thanks for playing along.

·
Registered
792 Posts
The Waldrop PAC seat looks great. I think hunting from the ground gets overlook way to much. I have killed quite a few from the ground with a bow and not with a pop up blind (can't stand them). Good luck and it ain't over till it's over.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I hunted south eastern Kansas in 2014 but it was on private land. We stayed for a week and the least the wind blew was about 15 mph...it was normally 20-25. The deer didn’t mind a bit though. It was the most fun I had bowhunting and I never released an arrow.

Good luck on the last day!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I made my first ground blind bow hunt recently, didn't see anything but it was definitely different. I may make a couple more ground blinds for next year and give that more sit time. I need to invest in a good seat so I am more comfortable though.

Good luck today, hope you kill one. If not it still sounds like y'all had a fun trip.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Well the fat lady has completed her song and already loaded up on the bus and is headed home.....
The stick blind, despite my best hopes was a total bust this morning. Neither my hunting partner in this trip or my new Colorado friend saw a deer.

It’s very evident that the rut period is very compact here and we are now in the post rut period. We no
longer are seeing deer just walking around in the middle of the day or chasing does across the fields.

There are a couple of things I learned from this trip. The first thing is eating military MRE’s (otherwise known as “meals rejected by Ethiopians”) for 18 straight days wasn’t the best plan. No need to beat a path down that road any further.

The second thing is you need a good ascent system as only one tree out of 500 can be climbed with a climbing stand. The winds chew them all up and they grow up looking like corkscrews. I had a rapid rail system but it was a bit harder for me at my current age than the last time I remember.

If you read anything about Midwest whitetail hunting; most people say the peak of the rut is November 7th or 8th. I didn’t see that as wrong; but the best deer activity was closer to the 10th on this trip. It could be that the weather turned cooler for a couple of days.

We all hunted all day for 18 days other than missing two afternoons; one being to pack for the trip back home and the other for safety due to the wind. Most of those days we stayed in the stand from daylight to dark only to go to the base of the tree to eat lunch. That’s a lot of hunting over that time period with 3 people.

The results of this was different for everyone. The guy I came with had three shots in three days at some severely oversized bucks with only
memories to show for it. The Colorado guy saw a couple of good shooters but never took a shot. Myself on the other hand never saw a shooter from the stand.

I’ve enjoyed the hunting and providing the updates. As you have already determined I have left out the names of my buddies in respect of their privacy and have not mentioned the public area that we hunted out of respect of being brought as a guest by my hunting partner.

He has said the hunting was really off this year due to the warmer weather. (He killed a 157 last year with his longbow). Hopefully, I can make this trip next year.

Thanks for watching!
Mark

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Good times with good friends and you learned a little for next year. Not a complete loss. Sounds like a brutal but memorable trip. I sure was hoping you’d get one but, there’s always next year!!I I really enjoyed the posts. Have a safe trip home.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.