Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went up the river yesterday in the kayak. Launched from the riverside dr hiking trail in D'Iberville and made is to Bayou costapia. Water was calm and the jetskie and pontoon crowd didnt show up until noonish. I brought frozen mullet that I used as cut bait as well as the brim I caught on worms. I stopped on a few banks and hooked into a big snapping turtle. I was using a bobber with a 2' surflon leader and a j hook and treble on two rods. Nothing hit the live brim, and besides the turtle nothing took the mullet. I was targeting gar, bowfin and whatever else was there (first time fishing the back channels). Does anyone have recommendations for line/bait combinations to target other species? I think fishing off the top with bobbers was my error, but I get snagged too much when I fish bottom freshwater. It was a beautiful trip and would like to go back.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I think wire is not needed for gar. Their teeth are like needles, sharp on the ends but rounded on the sides. Mono will slip in between the teeth. I have had success using Kahle hooks with 3-4" live mullet fished 2-3' below a cork. Try launching at Parker's creek and fishing the deep lake or by Cedar Lake bridge and fishing cedar lake itself or the small lake behind Your Mama's House. In those lakes the bottom is clear enough that you should be able to fish on bottom without too many snags.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think wire is not needed for gar. Their teeth are like needles, sharp on the ends but rounded on the sides. Mono will slip in between the teeth. I have had success using Kahle hooks with 3-4" live mullet fished 2-3' below a cork. Try launching at Parker's creek and fishing the deep lake or by Cedar Lake bridge and fishing cedar lake itself or the small lake behind Your Mama's House. In those lakes the bottom is clear enough that you should be able to fish on bottom without too many snags.
+1

·
Registered
171 Posts
“Launched from the riverside dr hiking trail in D'Iberville”
Can anyone tell me how to get to the launch. I went to the end of Riverside drive and found a small muddy cut out at the end of the road. I guess I can park there and take the kayak down the trail marked no motorized vehicles. Looking at my map the ramp would be about 600 yards further on. (?).

Thanks for any help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.