Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
As far as I know, that's it for daytime use. Obviously, a safety flag for high-traffic areas is a good idea as is a whistle or horn and you're required to have a USCG approved 360 degree light at night.

The few times I'm able to get out these days are generally spent on rivers. That said, I carry a small ditch bag with the basics I'd need in case I unexpectedly had to spend the night and some first aid supplies, too. I have an 8 liter dry bag for all my overnight/first aid supplies.

My reasoning for the ditch bag is the same as my reasoning for a winch on my 4WD ATV -- as long as I have it, I will never, ever freakin' use it and it will be a complete waste of money. Let me go out without it and some kind of crap will happen.

·
Registered
212 Posts
As far as I know, that's it for daytime use. Obviously, a safety flag for high-traffic areas is a good idea as is a whistle or horn and you're required to have a USCG approved 360 degree light at night.

The few times I'm able to get out these days are generally spent on rivers. That said, I carry a small ditch bag with the basics I'd need in case I unexpectedly had to spend the night and some first aid supplies, too. I have an 8 liter dry bag for all my overnight/first aid supplies.

My reasoning for the ditch bag is the same as my reasoning for a winch on my 4WD ATV -- as long as I have it, I will never, ever freakin' use it and it will be a complete waste of money. Let me go out without it and some kind of crap will happen.
This is what I go by as far as lights are concerned. This is from the Coast Guard's Navigation Rules and Regulations Handbook...

Rule 25 (d) (ii) A vessel under oars may exhibit the lights prescribed in this rule for sailing vessels, but if she does not, she shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.

As long as you carry a flashlight and can get to it easily you should be covered as far as lights are concerned. I am only aware of PFD's for required safety equipment.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Got checked by the DMR the other night while fishing. 360 Degree white light at all times and a PFD. If its the inflatable kind it must be worn at all times.(learned that during the stop) If its a standard one it just has to be accessible. I do recommend an air horn or something loud. I've almost been mowed down by a boat with 6 guys on it before. They were going pretty fast and ALL facing the rear of the boat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.