Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someone were to lease some hunting land and the only way to get to it is thru someone elses property can the owner of that property keep you from traveling the only road leading to your land?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
No. Not "your" land. But if you lease it then it's not "your" land. I tried to lease a piece last year. The other landowner was fine with the property owner gaining access thru his property. He was not ok with any other individual coming thru.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lease land

I would've never thought they could keep you from land that you lease with the only access road going thru their property? I think there is some kinda law on that, I just don't know where to find it.

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
That all depends on the type of "Easement" if any that the landowner has. Some are exclusive, others are non-exclusive.
This ^^^

It'll also depend on how willing the actual landowner is to go to court for you. I leased some land from Rayonier a few years ago and traveled the road instructed by our resource manager. It only crossed about 200 yards on the edge of a man's private ground and while Rayonier had it in their paperwork they can travel the land to and fro, It doesn't extend to those who lease the land. I asked the manager how was this possible and he just said it wasn't worth the legal battle and gave me a full refund.

Basically the land becomes landlocked unless it's leased by someone owning adjoining property or a helicopter pilot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts