Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried these? If so, how do they compare in sharpness and low light effectiveness with the now discontinued Leupold VX-3? Initially I suspected they were a repackaged VX-3 with a couple of bells and whistles added, possibly stronger erectors and a lense coating or two, for the purpose of boosting marketing hype to enhance sales. Am I off base on this? Are there noticeable differences/improvements over the VX-3?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I will let you know. I intend to buy one this weekend during the Second Amendment tax free weekend if I can find one. Picked up a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC this week and the Leupold will sit atop it. I own and shoot a VX III and a VX 3 both in 4.5-14 x 42. They have served me well and are on two of my favorite rifles so I will be able to compare.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
For the money, you will be hard to beat the vx3-hd. Compared to other like scopes in their price range, I found they are more compact, lighter weight and equal or better glass than others. I have a 4.5x14x50 with cds on my wife’s .260, and it’s a great combination. I am not going to step out and say they are huge differences between the older versions, but if buying new in their price range, I’m not sure there is a better option.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Outrider,
I purchased a VX3 HD in 4.5-14x 40 with the BC reticle and mounted in Weaver medium rings on top of the CA Ridgeline in the 6.5 PRC caliber. I bore sighted after mounting and went to the range this morning. First shot at 50 yards and adjusted. Two more at 100 were .50“ and slightly right. Adjusted and shot two more. Two inches high(where I sight all my rifles) and dead center at .46”. Now to the scope. As I stated above, I have two other Leupold VX 3 variants and this one appears to be just as good or better. The fact that this new rifle shot so good may have me thinking the scope may have something to do with it. I didn’t dare shoot any more with the cost and availability of this ammunition. I will keep buying Leupold as long as they keep doing their job. I just remembered that I have another VX III 8.5-25 x 50 on my 22-250 varmint rifle and an older LPS that my grandson has on a .308 Encore. I have never had one to fail and never sent one back for service. BTW Scruggs had another scope in stock just like the one I purchased and they are $50 less than you pay online Plus tax free this weekend!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Mr. DD. A friend just recently had similar results with a new CVA Cascade in 6.5 PRC, bughole groups at 100 yards. You may know this already, but Hunter's Haven in Tupelo had a good supply of 6.5 PRC Hornady 143 grain Professional Hunter ELD-X ammo last Friday for the paltry sum of $53.00/box. This "shortage" of ammo has really driven up prices of some brands and loads.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your CA Ridgeline is a very nice rifle, one that anyone would be proud to carry. CA has a longstanding reputation for quality workmanship and fine tuned, consistent accuracy. Let us know how well it performs on whitetails.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts