Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FIRST this is not directed are intended to slander non resident trappers, only a few non resident trappers and resident trappers are bringing in Non native coyotes.

Until last year I believed (without researching the state regulations as I should have) that transporting live coyotes into MS and selling these coyotes to pens in MS is illegal.

HOWEVER I can not find any regulation that prohited this practice. Talking with a MDWFP rep. he also can not find a regulation against this.

Now with that said and this is directed at trappers that actually trap for the live market, How many had trouble during fur season finding a buyer that did not already have enough coyotes (beacuse of coyotes brought from out of state) or getting a good price for coyotes because the buyer was full with out of state coyotes.

I would suggest that all trappers call the MCWFP and protest this practice, of allowing out of state coyotes to be brought into the state and sold at registered fox pens.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have voiced my opinions on the subject.....May as well been talking to a brick wall. I have also ran into competition from out-of-staters on several occasions. Most from out west, fox, and coyotes.

All in all, Mississippi has some of the best trapping laws around so I'm not complaining to much.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not complaining either, I am offer options to offer resident and non resident trappers who leaglly trap live MS coyotes maybe a chance to up the supply and demand by eliminating the importation of out of state coyotes or at least slow the flow.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It is my understanding that importation of coyotes is legally allowed under special permit.

I doubt this permit is seldom ever requested or used though.

Always wondered why the un-regulated importation of these animals was allowed.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was told that manpower was not available to investigate this IF it was illegal and once again, no law could be found against this.

Neighboring states do not allow it, I am compiling the facts I will get back when I have the facts.

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
I don't have much trouble getting rid of the few I catch but I don't catch the numbers like Billy, Robert, and a few others do. Alot of states have completely outlawed the live sale of coyotes to the running pens so I hate to make much of a issue about it. Before you know it we'll be having to have a special permit to sell live, or either fly under the radar. I'm content with the current regulations.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
dixiejagds said:
Transport and sale of any wild animal should be outlawed. PERIOD. Maybe one day MDWFP will get their act together.
It NEEDS to be Federally banned by the CDC to prevent the spread of diseases and parasites that these transported animals may be carrying themselves. But for now I agree 100% MDWFP needs to outlaw the sale of and transportation across state lines of these animals. Yes that means you would not be able travel from La to Al through Ms with live animals banned for transport.

·
Registered
417 Posts
There is no credible threat of diseases being spread so you will not be seeeing any action from the CDC!

If the spread of disease was actually an issue then there would be concern about the hundreds of thousands of dogs transported across statelines with out paperwork, blood tests or even health papers.

·
Registered
251 Posts
robertw said:
There is no credible threat of diseases being spread so you will not be seeeing any action from the CDC!

If the spread of disease was actually an issue then there would be concern about the hundreds of thousands of dogs transported across statelines with out paperwork, blood tests or even health papers.
It breeds nothing but corruption and illegal activities. The recent bust in Alabama should serve as a prime expample as what the exploitation of wildlife will lead to. They had coyotes, bobcats, and foxes coming in from all over the U.S. You think that is not happening in MS? Slim chance that everyone here is on the up and up.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
robertw said:

When this thread initially posted I searched the CDC's web site for any information and I did find a paper/article where coyotes captured in Texas were transported to a pin in Florida. One or more of the coyotes had a strain of rabies that was not normally found outside of where they were captured. They were found to be rabid because a local dog was bitten and infected in the Gainesville, FL area. There was a 20 or 30 square mile area around the location that was "quaranteened" to prevent any possible spread. The CDC did state there is no way to readily screen these animals for such diseases so they recommend they are not transported but there is no regulation or law prohibiting you from doing so.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I must apologize this was to be a reasonable discussion for actual legal live market trappers.

dixiejagds, statements such as "Slim chance that everyone here is on the up and up." are uncalled for and taken as an insult, I do not know all the trappers on here but all that I know here are on the up and up. Check your self son I value my and my friends reputation. .

And for both of you dixiejagds and stillhuntn, I deleted the initial post (I thought) due to just this. Post hijackers that add nothing to the question asked.

Do you have any information regarding regulation preventing the transportation of out of state coyotes, in through or over MS state lines? Do some research, give some actual knowledge, add someting to the conversation.

Alabama trappers have a long history of being "busted" for numerous violations, this is old news even in light of the latest charges.

·
Registered
251 Posts
rln said:
Well I must apologize this was to be a reasonable discussion for actual legal live market trappers.

dixiejagds, statements such as "Slim chance that everyone here is on the up and up." are uncalled for and taken as an insult, I do not know all the trappers on here but all that I know here are on the up and up. Check your self son I value my and my friends reputation. .

And for both of you dixiejagds and stillhuntn, I deleted the initial post (I thought) due to just this. Post hijackers that add nothing to the question asked.

Do you have any information regarding regulation preventing the transportation of out of state coyotes, in through or over MS state lines? Do some research, give some actual knowledge, add someting to the conversation.

Alabama trappers have a long history of being "busted" for numerous violations, this is old news even in light of the latest charges.
Firstly, me dad is the only person who can call me "son". Sorry to deflate you, but you have been informed.
Secondly, I suggested that MDWFP "should" outlaw the transportation and sale of wild animals. This my right to an opinion and it is an opinion based on knowledge and experience. If I am not wrong it is my right to have an opinion. Sorry it differs from you, but hey that is the way the old ball bounces sometimes. Hopefully MDWFP and the State Ag Commission will follow the path of other states who are years ahead on this issue. I won't even get into the disease side of this.
I have had the duty to depopulate a running pen before. You should take this upon yourself. That coyote was a challenge when you caught him, but after being subjected to cage life and then turned into a pen, he is nothing but hair and heartbeat. You can walk up to them and knock them in the head. A .22 slug to the brain is a far better end than life in a running pen. I know the world hates coyotes, my god the deer they eat. We don't shoot enough deer as it is, so coyotes only help us. I love trapping coyotes, but it ends there. I trap them for the joy and what little the hide might bring(if you can sell them). I won't lower my standards to become a peddler of wild flesh.
Maybe I have added something to the conversation, maybe not. I am very well educated, but always willing to learn more.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Well put Richard. I can guarantee Billy303 is on the up and up along with several others that frequent this forum. Just the way I was brought up. For someone to assume everyone here is not, as stated above must have had a different upbringing than what I had. I also take insult to the statement that says I'm any different than what I am, especially when the person has no knowledge of the people he/she accuses. Slander to the fullest extent.
The statement "dixiejagds" made sounds like something straight from the PETA book of knowledge. Get yourself educated or get a life.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
rln said:

Here is the link to the factual paper on the CDC's site regarding the transportation of live coyotes and the suspected transmission of rabies by those animals. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00038451.htm
I didn't know I was "hijacking" a post by offering the found information that I RESEARCHED. My opinion posted in post #5 was based on the information of the article linked above also so it was not a 100% uneducated opinion but an opinion all the same.

I would consider this actual knowledge AND adding to the conversation.

Since I did the research for you I may as well post the "concluding" paragraph that answers your original question. At least as I remember it since you deleted the post. Here's the exact verbage from the linked article above:

"In addition to rabies, public health risks associated with wildlife translocation include zoonotic infections such as plague, hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, brucellosis, echinococcosis, Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, ehrlichiosis, and tularemia. However, federal and state regulations have not been applied consistently to the interstate movement of native wildlife. Because of the public health risks and lack of feasible methods to certify animals as free of many of these zoonotic agents, restrictions on the interstate movement of native wildlife may need to be considered."

·
Registered
417 Posts
Is there a disease listed on that list that isn't already present in Mississippi?

It is also evident that stopping the movement of these animals is not a great public health concern.

Hundreds of thousands of dogs are hauled across the nation every day with no health papers or proof of any vacinantions pose more of a threat (if there was a credible threat).

·
Registered
43 Posts
X2 Billy. You know, We can all agree to disagree, but making wild throws from way out in left field don't count. Richard, I know the point you were trying to make. It's a shame it gets taken to another level for whatever reason. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that anyone that traps probably likes doing it. Fot those who take the time to do it at an even higher level probably try to offset some of their expenses. Not to mention trying to utilize what you have to the fullest. So, besides the regular Trapping Season, The Nuisance Animals allows this to be done year round, Live Market being a very large part, adding Hogs and Fox to the list along with Coyote. Hogs are a good example of Regulations and Restrictions and look at the problems they cause. We need some incentive to continue. Take that away and maybe we will continue to catch just for fun ya'll. NOT!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would like to see out of state coyotes stopped, to increase the demand for MS coyotes for MS resident and non resident trappers. More demand means more money for MS trappers.

Disease is a subject for another post another time.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts