Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently moved near the Good Hope community in Leake County and would like to have some hunting opportunity near my home. I'm not really interested in the public land (Bienville) to my south. I have found a nice club nearby that the waiting list seems promising; but as I bowhunter I would like to find an additional property with a bit more solitude. My thoughts at the moment is if I were to be allowed to join that club..... I would still look for more opportunity with an individual lease or even purchasing a tract of land if it had a significant amount of hardwoods.

The second part of all this is that if I could be satisfied with my local hunting arrangement; I probably would put my beloved Jack Slough Hunting Club membership for sale in the Big Black River basin in Montgomery and Choctaw counties.. For info on that club you can search for old post (Land Share Hunting Club) about the possible sale of that membership in the past. I usually find a buyer..... and then let them buy another membership there when I back out. I've always loved that place but I'm getting pretty old. I don't want my wife to have to dispose of it one day.

· Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Given the first post gathered so much interest, I have another idea:) The Pearl River flows under Hwy 25 bridge near my home. If any club or landowner would consider an "access only" arrangement to the public lands along the Pearl River, I would be willing to pay 'more' than top dollar. Of course, being able to join a quality low member club along the river would be the best option if it ever became available.

Being a bowhunter (and a traditional bowhunter at that) I would very likely make little or no impact to a club or landowner. It's like free money to someone with the right property.

· Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually visited both Lowhead and the Leake County Water Park a few days ago. Both have pretty good ramps and Leake County Park is patrolled pretty good so that you don't worry leaving your vehicle there. I kind of hate having to take those 25 degree boat rides before daylight but its an option. I keep looking at a club that has a lot of members that will allow me to join with land access to the river. That in addition to the lands I own, the totality may be enough to keep me happy locally. Its sooooo hard of a decision to get out of my club on the Big Black... but age and distance may make that decision for me. I'm not a spring chicken anymore. I'm not just old school...I'm actually old:)

· Registered
1,751 Posts
Someone help this man find a lease! I enjoy his write ups on his various kills through out the season! haha

I know what you mean about leaving a decent area and trying to find something new. Good luck on your search.

· Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Rancher! Its hard to leave anything that you know for a new area. I would love to just buy some more land; but it really doesn't make sense for me. I'm trying to simplify life and not do things that makes it harder.

· Registered
2,781 Posts
I actually visited both Lowhead and the Leake County Water Park a few days ago. Both have pretty good ramps and Leake County Park is patrolled pretty good so that you don't worry leaving your vehicle there. I kind of hate having to take those 25 degree boat rides before daylight but its an option. I keep looking at a club that has a lot of members that will allow me to join with land access to the river. That in addition to the lands I own, the totality may be enough to keep me happy locally. Its sooooo hard of a decision to get out of my club on the Big Black... but age and distance may make that decision for me. I'm not a spring chicken anymore. I'm not just old school...I'm actually old:)
Where abouts are you living now? We just finished building a house off 25, and I joined a club this year close to 25/43. It’s not low pressure by any means but it’s close and reasonably priced. I have a place to myself that I bow hunt 99% of the time and wouldn’t mind learning some public by river access if you ever decide you want to try it but are iffy about going solo.

· Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It’s a good thought regarding the public land by river boat idea. It stays an option but lower on the list. I would need to buy a bigger boat and learn to be a boater again:) now if I could hitch a ride I’m your guy!

I’m living a few miles north of you near the Good Hope exit off Hwy 25. I’ve got some land here that has a few deer but not big enough to hunt every day. A big club down the road 8 minutes says I can likely join but it’s pretty high pressure I think. It does however get me down to the river on the public land on a smaller parcel. I’m going to join that one to see how it works out this year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts