Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Having worked with these type of issues for nearly 4 decades, I do worry about history repeating itself. Generally any season left totally up to the Commission eventually gets turned into a PW or gun season. For the old timers, they might remember it happening not once, but twice to the January archery season.

The new Velvet season comes with the price of a new required permit....... which checks the box for revenue creation for the MDWFP. Weak archery participation/sales for this three day season will most likely create calls for 'more opportunity' and yet another archery season is dust.

I read that 'bowhunters' wanted this, but I'm not aware of any coordinated effort by any bowhunter organization. Don't get me wrong, I like the opportunity; I'm just saying the staying power of this season as it exist now is pretty limited.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Having worked with these type of issues for nearly 4 decades, I do worry about history repeating itself. Generally any season left totally up to the Commission eventually gets turned into a PW or gun season. For the old timers, they might remember it happening not once, but twice to the January archery season.

The new Velvet season comes with the price of a new required permit....... which checks the box for revenue creation for the MDWFP. Weak archery participation/sales for this three day season will most likely create calls for 'more opportunity' and yet another archery season is dust.

I read that 'bowhunters' wanted this, but I'm not aware of any coordinated effort by any bowhunter organization. Don't get me wrong, I like the opportunity; I'm just saying the staying power of this season as it exist now is pretty limited.
I haven’t talked to a single bow hunter that wanted to sit in a tree in September.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
They may not want to sit in a tree in September but I assure you a ton will. Deer don’t have much to choose from for food. Awful predictable early September with bait etc and bucks bunched up etc. I feel there will be some very good bucks killed. Do I think it will help the overall season?? Not a chance. More people in the woods a lot earlier equals more pressure way too early. Is what it is. September will be the new opening day for bow season.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts