Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had not hunted since late November due to weather and some repairs being done on my house from Ida. Got a break so me and my wife headed to camp yesterday morning. Not knowing what to expect I just went sit in my climber at the last place I hunted.

Not much action for the most part all afternoon. At around 5:10 I see movement about 50yds out, I slowly got standing while it was behind a tree. As it got closer I saw it was a young racked buck, looked like a 6pt to me. With the light fading he stepped out at 10yds, a pretty steep shot from 20ft up but it was all I had. I picked a spot low in his chest and as soon as my fletching touched my nose my arrow was gone. At the shot he ducked and wheeled around a bit and I saw my fletching disappear in him. The entrance was a bit high and back but I didn’t see any gut sign in the blood trail.

I fully expected to find my arrow stuck in the ground at the shot site but it wasn’t there. He ran about 50yds after the shot and stopped in an opening for a few seconds then ran off. I trailed blood to that spot but decided to back out until this morning since the shot was a bit back and maybe a liver hit. I will wait until good light then take up the trail, wish me luck guys.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not looking too good. Found my arrow about 5yds past where I stopped last night. From that point on it was hands and knees tracking for 40yds. Then I found 2 nice spots of blood and not a drop since.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Man, I know you have really put an effort behind all of this! That’s so awesome and congrats on your trophy! The true measure of an animal often isn’t it horns; but rather the journey you took to reach the destination.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
String that is perfect what you said. Lots of times we get caught up in the size of a deer when really it’s the process and journey that got us to that point when we decide to take that deer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Stringwacker, it has been quite the journey let me tell you. My first kill could have been a doe or spike and I would have been just as proud as if it were a 12pt. If I were an indian I would be a vegetarian over the past 6 bow seasons lol

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Thanks Stringwacker, it has been quite the journey let me tell you. My first kill could have been a doe or spike and I would have been just as proud as if it were a 12pt. If I were an indian I would be a vegetarian over the past 6 bow seasons lol
I know how satisfying finally putting it all together must feel. I truly believe the first one is the hardest. After the first, you have no doubt that you can do it.

I love the fact that you did it in gun season!!!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had some trouble finding him because something internal was blocking the exit wound after the arrow came out. I knew he wasn’t far but couldn’t find anymore blood. I walked 20 or so yards down some deer trails looking for any sign. I stood 10 yds from him at one point but didn’t see him. I decided to make a circle from last blood to see if I could find anything. At one point when it didn’t look good for the first time since taking up trad in 2015 I questioned if I was cut out for this. 10 yards later I walked up on him lol.

I did take the rifle out Thanksgiving weekend and killed a doe so I would at least have some meat since I don’t want to shoot a doe during the rut. I will probably mix it up between gun and bow till the end of the season though.

Everyone has told me the same thing, the first is the hardest one so I am glad to finally get that out the way. Trad is hard but I love it, I shoot just about every day I am home year round. I know there are several ways people aim with them but I shoot purely instinctive just like throwing a baseball. Anyway before I ramble on too long, thank you to everyone that sent me congrats.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.