Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone follow the feeding times from moon charts? I’m starting to hear more and more people swear by them.

Yes I will hunt whenever I can but just wanting to know y’all opinion on the subject.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Absolutely, I print them out and leave several copies at the camp. I have planned my time off around solunar tables. There are other variables to consider ( hunting pressure, weather etc), but for 50yrs I have used it as a resource just like anything else. I have to side with Randy in terms of spending as much time in the woods as possible, having said that, I know for a fact that deer move midday on the full moon. I suggest you start keeping a diary/log listing what you see, when you see it, and the time and compare it to the solunar tables. ALL animals are effected by the moon. Good luck this year and remember safety first.

·
Administrator
8,671 Posts
Most of the biologists running GPS studies don't find any real significance in the moon phase on deer. The Effect Moon Phase Has on Hunting Deer

However, there is definitely something that moves them. There have been times that I saw literally 100+ on a road trip and then might not even see a single one on the same path at the same time period the next year. Photoperiod triggers the rut, and during the rut I see deer all day long regardless of moon phase. That 7-10 days before Christmas is as good as it gets. What really shuts down daytime movement during the rut is extreme heat. When its hot, they do their romancing at night.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I listened to a podcast by Southern Outdoorsmen and I believe it’s the fella Michael Pike who swears by moon phase and gave a couple things to look for during full and new moons. It’s a recent show if y’all wanna give it a listen.

Also Jeremy on Do It Yourself Hunter swears by a moon guide.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Most of the biologists running GPS studies don't find any real significance in the moon phase on deer. The Effect Moon Phase Has on Hunting Deer

However, there is definitely something that moves them. There have been times that I saw literally 100+ on a road trip and then might not even see a single one on the same path at the same time period the next year. Photoperiod triggers the rut, and during the rut I see deer all day long regardless of moon phase. That 7-10 days before Christmas is as good as it gets. What really shuts down daytime movement during the rut is extreme heat. When its hot, they do their romancing at night.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts