Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In y'all's opinion, what is the most overrated or overpriced gadget fad lately? I think overpriced turkey calls like Woodhaven is one. Also, tree saddles are way overpriced for what you're getting. Don't even get me started on YETI coolers...[tongue]

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I’ll bite. The Bore Snake. Not overpriced but overrated. Now it has its place in certain situations but there is a whole generation of gun owners that think they have cleaned their firearm after pulling it through once or twice. The first thing I do, when someone brings me a rifle that used to group but doesn’t now, is ask them if they have cleaned their rifle. You wouldn’t believe the ones that have done nothing but run the BS through it. A good cleaning goes a long way.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll bite. The Bore Snake. Not overpriced but overrated. Now it has its place in certain situations but there is a whole generation of gun owners that think they have cleaned their firearm after pulling it through once or twice. The first thing I do, when someone brings me a rifle that used to group but doesn't now, is ask them if they have cleaned their rifle. You wouldn't believe the ones that have done nothing but run the BS through it. A good cleaning goes a long way.
Weren't they initially designed for quick "field" cleaning? You're right tho. Nothing beats a good deep cleaning with rod cleaners.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yep.....he’s trying to throw y’all off!! I bought a HEC’s last year and it’s working!!

·
Administrator
8,595 Posts
HECS is pure BS.

Contrary to some of the replies above, I have a bit of faith in ozonics.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
In y'all's opinion, what is the most overrated or overpriced gadget fad lately? I think overpriced turkey calls like Woodhaven is one. Also, tree saddles are way overpriced for what you're getting. Don't even get me started on YETI coolers...[tongue]
Leave my tree saddle alone. I will say this. They are about the same as a tree stand. But it worth waiting and a getting a custom one vs a mass produced saddle. The comfort of a custom is not even close comparison to a mass produced one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Leave my tree saddle alone. I will say this. They are about the same as a tree stand. But it worth waiting and a getting a custom one vs a mass produced saddle. The comfort of a custom is not even close comparison to a mass produced one.
Wasn't knocking saddles at all. I was just pointing out they were way overpriced for what you were getting. I would love one myself but can't see spending that much money, $300+ with all needed accessories and climbing sticks.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Wasn't knocking saddles at all. I was just pointing out they were way overpriced for what you were getting. I would love one myself but can't see spending that much money, $300+ with all needed accessories and climbing sticks.
Yea it's a lot of money but your talking about safety and testing and your life hanging on by this peace of a equipment. If you use the product right. You will be safe.

·
Registered
381 Posts
How many deer stands do you have? I won't go back to climbing stands or lock-ons after getting use to the saddle. I only hunt public, so the carry in/carry out is the best way to go.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
How many deer stands do you have? I won't go back to climbing stands or lock-ons after getting use to the saddle. I only hunt public, so the carry in/carry out is the best way to go.
I have 3 at the moment with one more on the way. I hunted this year about 70% of the time out of saddle. But my deer stands are loc ons. The loc on I used the most was the newest one I got. A lwcg .5. Really trying to see if I like it. I have had a lwcg 1.0 since they came out 2 years ago. I still on a m7 mellienum that I didn't use this year. I ordered he beast stand which I will have in June.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have 3 at the moment with one more on the way. I hunted this year about 70% of the time out of saddle. But my deer stands are loc ons. The loc on I used the most was the newest one I got. A lwcg .5. Really trying to see if I like it. I have had a lwcg 1.0 since they came out 2 years ago. I still on a m7 mellienum that I didn't use this year. I ordered he beast stand which I will have in June.
I intended the question for MSUrussel, but you made my point. We'll buy multiple lockons, ladders and climbers, but not one saddle and climbing method that can be used in place of all the lockons.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I intended the question for MSUrussel, but you made my point. We'll buy multiple lockons, ladders and climbers, but not one saddle and climbing method that can be used in place of all the lockons.
I don't know if I will ever be a one method guy. And most hunters are not. Some are but they limit themselves. Even though the saddle can cover most of them. Sometimes I want a tad bit more comfort for all day sits.

Also when you go down the saddle hole way. You will buy multiple of them as well. I currently own 2. And have owned 3 others before the 2. So I have owned a total of 5 different saddles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts