Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

Mounting plexiglas window

1K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Capt. Chief 
#1 ·
Never done it before and not real sure what hardware I need to mount it to my console..

#3 ·
Hopefully it is predrilled. If not you can crack it by drilling it turning to the right. You can drill some plexiglass successfully by turning to the left reverse. Try on the old one first to get a feel for it. I would also use grommets with the raised washers. I have some washers if you don't or can't find some. I would also consider a gasket or bead of silicone with weep holes for drainage. Just a couple of ideas..

#4 ·
The last windshield I ordered came with a drill bit made to drill the windshield. It had a little different shaped tip on it than a normal bit. They also include rubber gromets to put in the holes so your screw/bolt had a cushion against the windshield material.

It is possible they sell the bits online or at a local glass shop.

#5 ·
It is predrilled. Was looking online and by what it says I need grommets and if it doesn't fit my console close enough I will need spacers (size to be determined by how much space needs to be compensated for). I assume most hardware stores would have all this?

#6 ·
I mounted mine, it was pre drilled lined it up has my wife hold it while I marked the holes drilled them out, went and picked up some rubber washers and stainless screws used 2 washers between windshield and console and 2 between screw and windshield been good since December also put a dab of 5200 on the threads to make sure they don't try to vibrate out

#7 · (Edited)
Don't they make an actual grommet that is made for plexiglas for mounting? I went to a couple of hardware's including A&A and all they carry is the normal rubber grommet which does not have a wide enough groove to work on plexiglas. Shooter where did you get the grommets and spacers you said you had? Looks like I will need two 1/2"-5/8" spacers too for the sides. I saved over a $100 on this windshield and I don't want to mess it up because I probably won't find another buy as good as I got this one for.

#10 ·
No at Hubbard's and they sent me to Dunaway Glass and that was a no as well. Some one has to sell them. Could also use the grommets that look like one side is cutoff but still inserts inside the hole in the plexigas and use it with a rubber washer.

#13 ·
SJ,
I picked up some rubber inserts that had a stainless threaded nut inside of it. You drilled a hole in the console so that the insert could be pushed in and there was a rubber flange that held the windshield off of the console about 1/8".

You used a rubber washer between the glass & head of the bolt. Threaded the bolt into the insert. When you tightened the bolt the insert would swell on the back side of the console holding it in place. And acting like a shock absorber.

I think I picked them up at West Marine.

#17 ·
I was planning on dropping by A&A around 3'ish. I have a meeting at Stennis at 1, which last 1 - 1 1/2hrs.

Here's my cell: (228) 363-2073. Shoot me a text around that time and we can figure out the best place to meet up. I am putting them in my truck now so I do not forget. [wink]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.