Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have roughly 40 acres in Pike Co, MS that I hunt on. Just bought it 2 yrs ago. I'm starting to realize that I'm not experienced enough, deer hunting-wise to fully develop it for hunting as much as I'd like. I had limited experience in woods growing up. I want to figure out where the bedding areas, and best places to put feeders, etc. I've had a little success hunting it, but I know I can improve it. I know its not a large area.

· Registered
2,953 Posts
The lands surrounding you need to be examined as much as your own land. For example, if they are primarily prime bedding areas then I'd be more apt to turn my land into prime feeding area. Or, if they are full of food sources but little bedding area, then I'd be apt to create a heavy bedding area right in the middle of my land. The idea being that I don't want to compete with the surrounding lands but rather give the deer something that those don't have.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The lands surrounding you need to be examined as much as your own land. For example, if they are primarily prime bedding areas then I'd be more apt to turn my land into prime feeding area. Or, if they are full of food sources but little bedding area, then I'd be apt to create a heavy bedding area right in the middle of my land. The idea being that I don't want to compete with the surrounding lands but rather give the deer something that those don't have.

Thank you very much.

· Registered
30 Posts
I was in a similar situation two years ago in walthall county, bought the new home stead and have been working to figure it out. As others have mentioned, its important to know what is around you as well, as 40 acres will not keep a deer. Where are you at in Pike county? A few sessions with google earth can tell you a lot about the surrounding lands....

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good ideas. I'm looking at Google Earth now. I hear gunshots from time to time so I know they are out there. I see them on my cameras. I'm going to do a further exploration after this season with a few cameras i just got. And see what I can figure out. I'm going ttoput some more stands strategically placed for the different winds we get. I'm lucky to have a nice creek and mixed hardwood pines.

· Registered
2,575 Posts
If possible, make a 5 acre plot in the middle of your property oriented to take advantage of prevailing winds. Don’t overhunt the property and avoid going into most of it during deer season. Deer need feed and sanctuary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts