Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Samick Sage recurve. It is 40# at 28". In a compound I have a 30" draw length and I really don't know how long in a recurve. What I really want to know is what if I draw it further than 28"? I know it will increase the weight of the bow but will it break it. I am lost as a goose right now so any help or hints will be appreciated. This is gonna take awhile to get the hang of.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I just purchased a Samick Sage recurve. It is 40# at 28". In a compound I have a 30" draw length and I really don't know how long in a recurve. What I really want to know is what if I draw it further than 28"? I know it will increase the weight of the bow but will it break it. I am lost as a goose right now so any help or hints will be appreciated. This is gonna take awhile to get the hang of.
In the shortest answer I've ever given....no.

I don't know the length of your Samick; but I assume its 60". People shoot 31" quite regularly out of a recurve without a second thought. I also suspect that if you have a 30" draw with a compound; your recurve draw will be closer to 28 to 28.5 inches. The way you shoot a recurve is different and the draw length will always be shorter than with a compound. Bows vary, but generally you gain about 3lbs of draw per inch over 28" until the bow hits its stack point. Then you might gain as much as 7 lbs!

You first steps are to equipped the bow with the hunting setup you want then start to tune the arrow to the bow. I seem to remember that you may live in the eastern part of the state and if so; come on out to the house one day and we can set it up.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The Sage is a 62” bow. Your draw length will probably be a little shorter than it was on your compound. Like Stringwacker said, you’ll gain some poundage over 28” but no worries on breaking it. If you do end up drawing close to 30”, I would stick with bows in the 62-64” range and wouldn’t go anyt shorter than 60”. The longer bows will draw smoother with a long draw.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.