Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all.

I have been interested in trapping for quite some time but never got around to getting out and actually setting traps for one reason or another. Well this summer I got to spend the summer live trapping beavers in AL and it was a blast so I am thoroughly hooked, so now I am determined to run a line or two this year and am open to any advice from people with more experience.

So a little about my trapping goals and such. I am mainly looking to focus on Beaver, mink, and otter, but wouldn't be object to also setting a few traps for fox, coyote, and/or bobcat. I am currently in the Wildlife program at MSU so I am in the Starkville area. I was thinking that some of the better place for me to set would be around Tombigbee National forest, but if anyone else knows of any areas close to Starkville that may be more productive I would appreciate the heads up?

As far as experience setting traps I have used conibears, foot holds, snare (Not super effectively), and hannock live traps targeted at beavers with an occasional incidental trap of a raccoon or two.

Also, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as far as what traps would be bet to buy (Sizes, brands, kinds etc) and from where to get them.

Thanks for reading (sorry for the length) and I hope to get some awesome advice!!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Welcome to the sport. You can start with YouTube to get a wealth of info and also trapping associations like the South Free Trappers. I use a lot of Duke 330 and 280 for beaver and TS 85 foot traps. I am in Morton about a hour and a half from you but would be happy to let you ride along when I start. Jonny Carter is also in Starkville he works for the USDA does beaver trapping. Here are a few likes to get you started
www.southernfreetrappers.com
www.bienvilleoutdoors.com
Trapping time Tv on youtube
www.deepsouthlures.com

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Welcome to The Bull and congratulations on getting Hooked on Trapping!
If you dig back in the trapping threads on here you will find a lot of interesting and some imformative post. Also there is now a tremendous amount of info on the internet.
As for trapping on Tombigbee I would recomend talking to the manager and or the gamewardens over that area. I don't know much about it but you could also check into John Starr.
As for trap selection and choices there are many to choose from and they come in varying ranges of price and quality. Myself, I have some Victor and some Duke bodygrippers and they will both do the job. For foot holds on beaver I prefer the TS-85's because they are big and plenty strong but still reasonably easy to set. For canines and cats I prefer Bridgers in # 1-3/4, #2 and #3. For mink you would need #1 size traps.
As for where to get traps you can order online from many places, you can even deal with strongriverducker, he won't treat ya wrong!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts