Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or is the end of legal shooting light way too dark to shoot at anything with a bow? I was getting ready to lower my bow to the ground last night when deer came from everywhere to right under my tree. I was straining to try to see what they were. When I finally looked at my phone there was still several minutes left of legal shooting light. Am I going blind or what?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I don't see as well as I used to but I can't see my pins and the deer well enough to shoot unless the deer is in a field when it's late. I don't push it anymore, if I can't be sure I let them walk. I can see my pins, fiber optics, but can't tell a doe from a button head, and my pins look like halos to me the later it gets.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Same here. The last several years when it starts getting dark I can either see my pins or I can see the deer. I CANNOT see both at the same time. Which is kind of important!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think it depends where you're at, definitely seem to run out of light before legal time when hunting hardwoods in early season.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I agree that 30 minutes after sunset is too dark in the woods to shoot mirroring the same sentiments as previously mentioned. I go about 20 minutes in most cases. My rule is if I can’t see “hair”, I get down

·
Administrator
8,595 Posts
I can't see nearly as well as I could 30 years ago, but it still depends on the light. Some days are bright enough either from clear weather, moon rising, and/or hunting in an open field to see many minutes after legal time. Other days, I can't see squat 10 minutes before legal quitting time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts