Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would love to know how many applicants were denied. THP and Pinhoti Project both hunted Mississippi this year, so nothing changed as far as I can tell. I also saw Jim Ryser comment on Pinhoti's video that he didn't get on any birds in Miss this year. You guys who hunt public, what were your observations?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hunt public and draw hunts. I think they get to apply for WMA and regular public land endorsement draws consecutively and/or separately. I wish WMA hunts were for residents only. I saw more people on public land this year than I have in a long time. Some days felt like opening day of deer dog season...

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I would love to know how many applicants were denied. THP and Pinhoti Project both hunted Mississippi this year, so nothing changed as far as I can tell. I also saw Jim Ryser comment on Pinhoti's video that he didn't get on any birds in Miss this year. You guys who hunt public, what were your observations?
I’ve been waiting for this comment all year…. So I had a good season all things considering , didn’t get to hunt here as much as I would have liked due to work , but I did put some time in. 2022 is the most pressure I’ve seen on open public since I’ve been hunting open public . Now…. I don’t hunt a huge area , I kinda stay in and around a certain area which wasn’t too crowded 5-6 years ago, at least not the whole season. Pressure has gone up in this area every year , but this year takes the cake….. the last day of turkey season might as well have been the first . I wasn’t seeing as many non residents towards the end but there was plenty in the beginning. From what I can tell, the non res drawing system had absolutely no effect. Now , were all these people legally hunting here , I don’t know but I would assume most are . Perhaps the limited draw points out that not as many were hunting here to begin with as we think…. My area is hunted pretty hard by border state folks who just simply normally hunt here. And most of the ones I kinda know, from year to year , all drew and all came so non resident pressure was about the same as any other year in the blocks I hunt .Resident pressure was up exponentially…. Not necessarily local residents. Gravel popping and non stop owl hooting all the way down to the very last evening. At least on the days I went. I watched one of the videos you mentioned …. You wana know why there was no gobbling behind the gate you hunt….. watch that video.

Reactions: scott

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Lol, I don’t Turkey hunt at all but did see a ton more people parked on side of roads and at every gate I would pass going to town. Both resident and non resident tags on trucks.

Yes I blame it on YouTube shows for added pressure and yes I will continue to watch these YouTube shows.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
If you go to youtube and watch the MDWFP monthly commission meetings you will see the state initially approved 800 NR tags to be given out for spring 2022 season. Just over 1000 NR applied so MDWFP decided to give everyone that applied a tag rather than having a drawing and kicking 200 of them out, however, only 825 or so actually paid the money to buy the tag when given the chance. I cant confirm but I heard that before this year MS sold about 3,000 NR licenses to turkey hunters. Would like to know the true numbers of NR turkey licenses purchased in the last 5 years to compare.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
If you go to youtube and watch the MDWFP monthly commission meetings you will see the state initially approved 800 NR tags to be given out for spring 2022 season. Just over 1000 NR applied so MDWFP decided to give everyone that applied a tag rather than having a drawing and kicking 200 of them out, however, only 825 or so actually paid the money to buy the tag when given the chance. I cant confirm but I heard that before this year MS sold about 3,000 NR licenses to turkey hunters. Would like to know the true numbers of NR turkey licenses purchased in the last 5 years to compare.
yeah 1000 and some change applied , and 1000 actually drew. I don’t know how many actually came, but it doesn’t matter . If 100 non residents showed up and scattered across the public I hunt opening week that alone would be an excessive amount of pressure . IMO the birds and places quite often are actually being over hunted .It’s a sad reality, and essentially unmanageable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts