Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My inclination is not to post my spike that I took this morning as I shot this deer for a doe. What makes this one a little special though is I took it on the land I own on my acreage at the back of my house. I rarely hunt the property and this is the first bow killed deer I have taken on it in the 17 years I have had it.

As stated earlier, I shot the deer thinking it was a doe, so I guess I'm grateful for the legal latitude to take one buck under the normal antler criteria. I used my Black Widow at 52# and used a wood arrow and a vintage Bear Razorhead. Should make good hamburger!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congratulations!
Very special deer on your own land, recurve, wood arrow, Bear Razorhead.

It’s not about the size of the antlers that measures the success. It’s about the method used to kill the animal.

·
Registered
297 Posts
There goes my good deal on some wood arrows. I guess I better see what Kustom King has since Mark won't be in the selling mood. I broke two shooting thru deer in the past couple weeks and the box is low. Love that cedar smell. Good going Mark. You are a dying breed. When is a story coming.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
There goes my good deal on some wood arrows. I guess I better see what Kustom King has since Mark won't be in the selling mood. I broke two shooting thru deer in the past couple weeks and the box is low. Love that cedar smell. Good going Mark. You are a dying breed. When is a story coming.
Good to see you posting Michael! I think you know I used to shoot wood a great deal in the past; but I always thought anything else was better. However, there are some qualities in wood that aren't duplicated in aluminum or carbon.

Other than the story I posted on the archery forum about our Colorado hunt, I'm probably holding off on stories until I'm fortunate enough (maybe) to take a good buck this year.

I'm finding my new retirement more enjoyable than I would have ever thought. The freedom of "everyday being Saturday" allows for so much more in the latitude of how much and when I can hunt.

·
Registered
776 Posts
WOW! OF COURSE post every deer you harvest with traditional equipment! That spike took WAY more skill than shooting a 10-pt with a 7mag over a food plot (NO OFFENSE to that way of hunting!). It inspires me SO MUCH, because for 2-3 years I've been seriously considering putting the compound away and going with a recurve or long bow. I love to hunt from the ground, and a handy trad bow, shooting instinctive can be so much faster than a compound, pins, and a peep site - not to mention how much easier to maneuver around the woods!

Congrats Stringwacker, and keep the pics coming!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jakesnake66, Thanks for the kind words and post. Any time you want to take the plunge on the traditional side of bowhunting, I'm here to help!

It's something that I have been doing for decades and it never gets old to me...due to the fact that you never really master it. It's always something new to experience and learn and that keeps it interesting...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Congrats Mark! Also for the comment above, Mark helped me get back started in Traditional . I gave it up years ago because I had no idea how to get a bow and arrow tuned. He knows what he is doing!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.