Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I got to hunt a place and the birds just slapped whipped me. They were henned up bad and the longbeard knew just how far he could come and not get shot. Beaverslayer and I got to go back to this spot Sunday morning and I got redemption. Bird roosted over a slough near where I figured he would be if he was still there. We slipped in on the other side of the slough but we couldn't make it to a big tree to set up on due to how open it was. We hunkered down on a 12" elm, Beaverslayer facing the slough and I faced the open woods. I made a tree yelp on the Lynch Fool Proof and he sounded off. I laid the box down as I knew he knew where we were. Next time we heard the bird gobble he was on the ground ~ 150 yards away. Beaverslayer cut at him and within minutes we saw him. He came in the wide open about 100 yards and stared us down for about 10 minutes. I am sure he could see us as a blob but we never moved. Finally Beaverslayer was able to get his wing and started scratching on the back side of the tree we he could see the movement. A few minutes later he had enough and started slowly making his way to us but skirting us to my side. There was only 1 large pine I had in front of me where I could lift my gun to my cheek w/o him seeing me. As soon as he hit it I lifted my gun. I was a little too excited and when he stepped out in the open he paused and looked at us. I knew it was a long shot figuring 55 yards and I knew my gun could make it so I let it roar. Bird flopped and I ran and got on it. Beaverslayer walked up and said "Do you know how far that was", I replied long ways as I was out of breath. He stepped off 65 yards. I wasn't proud of the shot selection after the fact but was very proud of this bird.

9.5" beard with1" spurs

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Congratulations. Open woods and fields can fool you. But then again, I am sometimes fooled in open woods, fields, and not-so-open woods. Anyway, I am glad you got him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts