Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
8,652 Posts
The best advice I can give you if you aren't familiar with hunting WMAs in general is to read the rules for the WMA very carefully. I watched an officer wear out a ball point pen a few miles north of there on another part of the WMA for a variety of people and offenses.

Second best piece of advice, go check the place out prior to Oct. 1 or on the scouting days which you can find in the rules. https://www.mdwfp.com/media/303353/wma-rules-and-regs-brochure-phil-bryant-ten-point.pdf

Pull up the map and take a look around the place https://mdwfp.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...bf51&extent=-91.0013 ,32.4376,-90.830,32.5816

Then click on basemap gallery

World Map Font Slope Screenshot

Then select Imagery or Imagery Hybrid.

Ecoregion Plant Rectangle Organism Font

You can also try other map types like colored pencil, NAIP Imagery Hybrid, etc. that will show you where the breaks and sloughs are.

If you plan on using your phone for a GPS, make sure you have already downloaded the maps because you may not have enough cell signal to get them online. Cell coverage is very spotty.

Get a good backpack and include the following:
  1. battery supply to recharge your phone if it goes dead
  2. at least 2 thermacells for the skeeters.
  3. GPS with maps
  4. a small bottle of deet in case the thermacells quit working
  5. a compass in case your GPS and phone quit working
  6. a couple of small flashlights with extra batteries
I wouldn't bother with hauling a stand in there, but a millenium tree seat is handy and will keep your backside off the ground if it happens to be wet. These delta WMAs aren't like hunting NF land. You don't have to get miles and miles off the road to find deer.

If you haven't already done so, download their app so you can check in and out via the app rather than having to get cards and return them. MDWFP - WMA Check-In App

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info. I rode some of the trails in there Sunday 17th. Due to the vegetation and dry ground I couldn't find much sign. Its a very large place, too much to cover before Oct 1. I was wondering what the status of the area in there was after the 2019 flood.

·
Administrator
8,652 Posts
. I was wondering what the status of the area in there was after the 2019 flood.
What happened there is similar to what happened everywhere in the South Delta. The flood killed off significant numbers of adult deer and the does that survived were in many cases malnourished which caused a significant drop in fawn recruitment the following year.

Now, there is abundant food and the herd is rebounding. You can view the deer harvest data for surrounding WMAs and see the decrease in 2019 and rebound in 2020 (there is no harvest data on the MDWFP site for PB).

As for long term, nobody really knows yet how the hardwoods in the area will be affected by being under water for such an extended period of time. They may overcome the stress, or die. Only time will tell.

The place will look entirely different after the leaves fall and if we get a frost or 2 to kill off the undergrowth, the deer will be focused on hard mast rather than browsing green vegetation. Find some large oaks adjacent to a pinch point around breaks. If you can find a couple bean trees in the area, even better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts