Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
On one hand I applaud them for standing their ground and being fairly level headed about it but on the other.... I’m not sure that is the best option. 3 men with firearms arguing in the dark has a high likelihood of ending badly. I would def be upset if someone came in on me like that intentionally but sometimes it may be best to walk away and live to hunt another day.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Couple of different ways to look at that situation forsure. I would have eased on if them fellas already had their blinds set but hey that is just me.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Couple of different ways to look at that situation forsure. I would have eased on if them fellas already had their blinds set but hey that is just me.
I don't hunt public land for turkeys, but I do for ducks. That being said, there's only one way to look at this situation as I see it, and those fellows with the blinds were in the wrong. And 5 dollars to a donut says they knew they were wrong; they just couldn't deal with the disappointment.

Now if you're saying there's more than one way to handle it, well sure I can see that point, especially seeing that some people are crazy and guns are involved. But leaving a deer stand, setting out decoys, or putting up a ground blind in NO WAY reserves a spot. You have to be there first. Otherwise you're just leaving your stuff in the woods for the hunter that got there first to step around.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'd agree there is probably more then one way to handle that situation - but I'd have to agree with Smoke. Done a ton of duck and turkey hunting on public land and as he stated deer stands, decoys or ground blinds do not give you sole access or priority access to anything on public. Getting there first however, SHOULD get you a little common courtesy from others. Wishful thinking in this day and age I know.

Having said all that, I can tell you I would have handled it exactly the way Dave and his brother did.

·
Registered
656 Posts
A little off topic but the one I can’t quite develop a stance on is sitting in your truck and expecting others not to walk past you. On one hand, you were there first. On the other hand, you kinda weren’t.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
A little off topic but the one I can't quite develop a stance on is sitting in your truck and expecting others not to walk past you. On one hand, you were there first. On the other hand, you kinda weren't.
if im beaten to a spot...meaning there is a vehicle at the gate before me which is rare....I simply either go to a different spot, or I know others ways into the same spot, meaning a totally different access far far away. Cant put all your eggs in one basket. If you want it bad enough youll be there first. If you cant, due to work , etc....then you better have multiple spots to go to. Its disappointing but the mentality of maybe I can slip in behind him is a poor one to have. If your not first , youre last. At least with turkey hunting. Deer season, ill put up to the gate anyway usually because its a big block, I usually have a prehung stand and generally speaking you are going to make a sit for hours on in , in a single spot. so you SHOULD have plenty of space.....

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
If you want it bad enough youll be there first. If you cant, due to work
When I hunted in Georgia my wife couldn't understand why I would leave the house at 3 just to drive to a spot that only takes 30 minutes to get to. That place was so good if my wife wouldn't have a fit I'd drive 4.5 hours every week just to hunt for a few days...lol

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Public land "etiquette" is always a sketchy topic. Me personally, I dont wanna be anywhere close to anybody else.
Now if I pull up to a gated road at 4 am and theres somebody sleeping in a truck, my thoughts are first in the woods, first come first serve.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Public land "etiquette" is always a sketchy topic. Me personally, I dont wanna be anywhere close to anybody else.
Now if I pull up to a gated road at 4 am and theres somebody sleeping in a truck, my thoughts are first in the woods, first come first serve.
but then that leads to this....legal hunting hours....how early can you legally be in the woods with a loaded weapon. that's why I say if theres a vehicle there, I go somewhere else. not to mention legal hunting hours aren't the same in every state.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
but then that leads to this....legal hunting hours....how early can you legally be in the woods with a loaded weapon. that's why I say if theres a vehicle there, I go somewhere else. not to mention legal hunting hours aren't the same in every state.
Good point. But then like in deer season, I, and everybody I know hunts until 30 minutes after sunset. Then walks out with a loaded rifle. Turkey season, I may walk in an hour before light but my shotgun is loaded...I agree with you though about public land, its usually best to socially distance yourself from others..lol

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Good point. But then like in deer season, I, and everybody I know hunts until 30 minutes after sunset. Then walks out with a loaded rifle. Turkey season, I may walk in an hour before light but my shotgun is loaded...I agree with you though about public land, its usually best to socially distance yourself from others..lol
very true....

·
Registered
138 Posts
if im beaten to a spot...meaning there is a vehicle at the gate before me which is rare....I simply either go to a different spot, or I know others ways into the same spot, meaning a totally different access far far away. Cant put all your eggs in one basket. If you want it bad enough youll be there first. If you cant, due to work , etc....then you better have multiple spots to go to. Its disappointing but the mentality of maybe I can slip in behind him is a poor one to have. If your not first , youre last. At least with turkey hunting. Deer season, ill put up to the gate anyway usually because its a big block, I usually have a prehung stand and generally speaking you are going to make a sit for hours on in , in a single spot. so you SHOULD have plenty of space.....
couldn't have said it better

·
Registered
138 Posts
biggest problem here is it leads to people trying to race each other down the trail

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Beat a fellow by over 2 hours Saturday morning. Bout a half dozen other trucks turned around to give me my space. But this fellow was one of them "I been hunting here 20 years!!!" types. Told me a half dozen times how long he'd been hunting there. Super nice guy. We chatted for ~30 minutes and laughed about the circus unfolding in front of us. If a bird had gobbled, guess we both would have been hunting it? But one didn't gobble. And unbeknownst to me at the time, a THIRD truck had also joined us. So I guess there was potential for 3 of us to be hunting the same gobbling bird. Fun times I tell ya! Never know when you may catch a load of TSS!

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
With tss and the gota post pics daily for Facebook gen out there , I’m trying to stay clear of folks , if you beat me to a gate ? I’m going to plan B. Or C !
Ps , I hear the Pinhoti crew got there windows busted out while parked on government down here in sw area . I’m not much on these guys advertising my area on you tube ,, but it takes a low life pos to go that route .

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
First vehicle at the gate should have first choice. Some gated roads have a pile of land behind them that may seem unreasonable for one hunter to be able to "reserve" by parking there. If the person is there ask him which side of the road he plans to hunt then you take the other. Communication with the other hunter will often make for each of you having a good hunt if you stick to your pre arranged plan. Then again some folks are just a$$holes and you can't reason with them.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Howie,
Did Dave mention where he was hunting anywhere on social media? Reason I ask is because Dave is probably one of the most secretive guys out there. I’ll be surprised if he let it slip. He did get his window broken out down near you.

Jt

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Howie,
Did Dave mention where he was hunting anywhere on social media? Reason I ask is because Dave is probably one of the most secretive guys out there. I'll be surprised if he let it slip. He did get his window broken out down near you.

Jt
I'm honestly not sure , I don't have any social media with the exception of this type forum . But I've noticed by watching his and other you tube shows that you can usually pic up on what areas of the states they're hunting . I enjoy watching his stuff , and others like the hunting public fellas , but imo this internet stuff is a double edged sword .

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don’t think it’s very hard to figure out we’re these Utube guys are hunting they drop a lot of hints and the locals can recognize some of the landmarks. Either way it take a coward to bust out someone’s truck windows, if your that upset be a man and wait until they come out of the woods and handle it face to face.
Was the Pinhoti incident this season? First I heard about it

1 - 20 of 93 Posts