Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I’m in the same boat on social media Howie. We’ll have to see how Dave’s MS videos come out and yes he did get his camper shell broken out this season. I doubt he’ll say anything or show any signs about where he is, but people sure are crafty on finding these guys. Literally everyone we met while hunting knew who Aaron and the other THP guys were. Even as soon as they walked up in the dark!! It was crazy!!!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
everybody has smartphones, and everybody watches the videos.....that's all there is to it.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
I’ve got a guy I know from this area that hunted with Dave while he was here, he is saying it was possibly a log truck that passing by that could have slung gravel and busted his glass . I hope this was the case and not a hunter ... but I’ll tell you we have some jealous low life types around these parts that I would not be surprised. Look , I hate it’s so many folks in the government woods these days , but at the end of the day , they just want the same thing you do ...

·
Registered
14 Posts
A lot of people are watching the shows especially the turkey seasons. Too bad they watching and not listening to what they all say about being courteous to other hunters. Especially like the goof balls that drive up after the THP guys and then walk in on them to tell them they were leaving? What brand of stupid is that. They obviously watch the show because they knew who they were, so are they watching with the sound off or really that dumb? You see the same thing preached on every forum and probably on Facebook yet tomorrow morning somebody will be driving up after daylight and trying to run in on another person. Are there really that many people that far out of touch with the way public land works? Or supposed to work. I’ve heard the line “I have as much right to this spot as anybody” mostly by people that look to be on welfare and have zero tax dollars invested in the “public land”.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Was recently watching a Pinhoti video...And they let a major clue slip as to where they were at...A spot I've hunted before...And when I say spot, I mean THE exact spot. And not the first time I've saw this particular spot in their videos. I actually sent Dave a message during Pinhoti Season 1 when he showed real imagery on his phone. It took me less than 5 minutes to track it down as once again, we've killed a bird within a few hundred yards of that very spot. Fortunately in the next video or two he referenced my message and realized its not wise to show real imagery of the spot you are hunting!

Do not underestimate the ability of some folks to find these spots! I actually enjoy deciphering hunts of these YouTubers and figuring out where they are at.

Love watching the videos, but they are having some consequences. Any serious traveling turkey hunter should be able to tell you that. There are a few places I REALLY enjoy hunting and I'd really hate to see them get ruined. But its already happening.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ve also figured out a few of their locations without really spending much time at it. I wonder if any of the Utubers are noticing a difference since they started hyping the public lands? I know Florida has always been crowded but Dave repeatedly mentioning the Florida public he hunts can’t be helping. The THP guys seem to not let it bother them but ol Penhoti gets mad and try’s to hold it in on video lol. You can tell he don’t like it but has added to it.
The more people you add to any activity the more problems you will have period. Some of these guys buy the T-shirts and truck decals and try to dress and call like their hero’s and will run right over said “Hero” to kill a turkey. Kinda asking for it really.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'm honestly not sure , I don't have any social media with the exception of this type forum . But I've noticed by watching his and other you tube shows that you can usually pic up on what areas of the states they're hunting . I enjoy watching his stuff , and others like the hunting public fellas , but imo this internet stuff is a double edged sword .
When Dave left Florida he posted a IG story about being stuck in traffic on the interstate heading west through Louisiana. I figured then he was headed to the HNF.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I'm in the same boat on social media Howie. We'll have to see how Dave's MS videos come out and yes he did get his camper shell broken out this season. I doubt he'll say anything or show any signs about where he is, but people sure are crafty on finding these guys. Literally everyone we met while hunting knew who Aaron and the other THP guys were. Even as soon as they walked up in the dark!! It was crazy!!!
You don't have to be too crafty to recognize an area if it's a spot you've hunted regularly. Several members here, including myself, instantly knew your exact location in one of this year's videos. The THP guys need to be way more careful with things they show but I doubt they care as much being they are non residents.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Do not underestimate the ability of some folks to find these spots! I actually enjoy deciphering hunts of these YouTubers and figuring out where they are at.
Exactly! I'm not much on e-scouting but one particular YT video (not Pinhoti nor THP) showed an aerial shot of where a turkey was killed, mentioned it was close to a certain store, then showed where they had a celebratory breakfast. After a few minutes on Google Maps, I found the exact spot and marked it just in case I ever go there. It's likely I never will but if I do, I have a place to start and it was super easy to figure out.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I’m not for being reckless and advertising my spots, but I’m honestly just not as hardcore about protecting the public places that I hunt. Where I killed both of my birds this year you couldn’t have put another boot track, and one was a draw hunt!! There are no secret spots and there are enough turkeys for everyone that puts in the time to kill one. I’m as hardcore as anyone you could ever imagine, but I just ain’t gonna stress about protecting spots. I do understand this is a cardinal sin with some though😉

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
I'm not for being reckless and advertising my spots, but I'm honestly just not as hardcore about protecting the public places that I hunt. Where I killed both of my birds this year you couldn't have put another boot track, and one was a draw hunt!! There are no secret spots and there are enough turkeys for everyone that puts in the time to kill one. I'm as hardcore as anyone you could ever imagine, but I just ain't gonna stress about protecting spots. I do understand this is a cardinal sin with some though😉
Agreed bud ... I bet it was fun hunting with those fellas , and I enjoyed watching y'all get after em . If they would have had all this you tube stuff back when I had time to travel hunt more , I would probly be doing the same as those guys . Lol , you guys don't have to worrie about me doing much internet scouting , **** I can barely remember my pass word to get logged in here !! Lots of down time now with thi virus crap going on ,,, so tell them guys to keep them episodes coming !

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yessir.....sure will. They had an unbelievable week in Alabama and started hunting in TN today. Looks like they are gonna have plenty of content!!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Yessir.....sure will. They had an unbelievable week in Alabama and started hunting in TN today. Looks like they are gonna have plenty of content!!
Well I guess I know who you are now [smile] Congrats on the birds. I'm pretty sure I know exactly where you were when you missed the bird. That used to be a jam up spot.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hey I’m not trying to hide😆. I can see how if you’ve hunted a place a bunch you might recognize a spot, or like a friend of mine who recognized a spot on OnX that was shown in a video. The thing is though, he’d probably spent 30 days in this spot and new every crook and cranny. The vast majority will be doing good to find out what general area.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hey I'm not trying to hide😆. I can see how if you've hunted a place a bunch you might recognize a spot, or like a friend of mine who recognized a spot on OnX that was shown in a video. The thing is though, he'd probably spent 30 days in this spot and new every crook and cranny. The vast majority will be doing good to find out what general area.
Hey, no big deal to me. I don't hunt around there much any more. But, you'd be surprised at how much some folks can pick up with only a little bit of info. A couple of years ago, you were with the thp guys on another hunt on another piece of public. One of them killed a bird. They showed the aerial from OnX of the property. My middle son and I hunted on that area last year. Anyway, he saw the video and got on OnX and found the spot. We went in there but never got on anything. I don't think I could have found it but he did with no problem.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I remember that one gonhuntin. That was a fun hunt!! I had never been to that area and probably won’t ever go back. I’m impressed with your son though!! I hunted there and not sure I could find it again😆.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Had a buddy tell me last friday he hunted public land and when he came out someone had shot his truck tires with a nail gun.. The years I hunted public land I had very few bad experiences, but things are getting flat out ridiculous now.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Had a buddy tell me last friday he hunted public land and when he came out someone had shot his truck tires with a nail gun.. The years I hunted public land I had very few bad experiences, but things are getting flat out ridiculous now.
**** that's terrible and can ruin a day for sure. I've never bad encounters but I always wonder if I'm going to return to flats or something, Especially being a Non Res. I always back my truck up in a way you cant see my plate just from driving by for that reason. ]

These public lands are the greatest accumulation of undistributed wealth in the world and need to be appreciated more to maintain them by ALL

·
Registered
287 Posts
**** that's terrible and can ruin a day for sure. I've never bad encounters but I always wonder if I'm going to return to flats or something, Especially being a Non Res. I always back my truck up in a way you cant see my plate just from driving by for that reason. ]

These public lands are the greatest accumulation of undistributed wealth in the world and need to be appreciated more to maintain them by ALL
It's not just out of state that gets messed with. If you're from a county 2 or 3 hours away they don't like that either.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts