Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

Pole Saw Recommendations

3K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  rt8 
#1 ·
Looking yo buy a gas powered pole saw. What you got and what are pros and cons.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Michael

#2 · (Edited)
I'd look for a stihl or Husqvarna. The ones that telescope bend easy, if big limbs falls on it. But can be straightened fairly easy. They are also heavy, especially after just a few MIN of sawing.

But can reach way up there and this makes them some what safer on larger limbs.
Just cause you aren't right under you're work..

The non-telescoping are lite and can be run for longer periods. And it puts you closer to limbs..

They are very handy!! You pretty much pay for what you get on these so... If you want one that the engine will last it's gonna cost some.

#5 · (Edited)
A power pole saw is one of the handiest tools you can have around property. Not only can you reach up, but you can cut things off near the ground without bending over and it lets you stand back from limbs being cut. I have two Stihl's and have been very happy with them. The first one I bought was 16 or 17 years ago and it was the extending type. 1010 is right, it will wear you out, so, about 7 or 8 years ago I also bought the fixed length shorter model. We use it first and then just use the extending saw for some higher limbs. I also built a raised platform out of angle iron. It has a 4 x 8 piece of expanded metal as a floor. Floor height is about 9 feet and above that is a safety rail at about waist height. The base is 8' x 6' for stability. One side is straight up and the other side is sloped with a ladder. We have some pipe lines and power lines where we like to trim the trees up high so we load the platform on a trailer, tie it down, and drive down the edge of the opening trimming. If you can weld this might be an option to allow you to reach higher even if you get the shorter saw.

#7 ·
A tip to you married guys, when I bought my first pole saw I made sure I first used it to trim up the trees in the yard doing things my wife wanted done. We had bought a new to us home with a big yard. She probably thought that I bought it to do projects that she wanted done. Later I used it on the hunting property.

#8 ·
Treefarmer
I'm with you on this one.....this Sunday working in the backyard with my wife I mentioned that I really needed a pole saw to trim the trees in the yard....my wife of 26 years laughed and said "really....and you don't plan on using it on your property?" All I could do was smile. [biggrin]

Busted!

Michael

#9 ·
We have the Stihl that extends out to about 12 feet. It is an excellent tool but also a MANKILLER. If I were buying again, I would get the fixed length Stihl and do the ladder or loader bucket death wish thing for the really high stuff. Even the fixed unit in the shortened position is a beast to handle for long periods because of the weight. Keep in mind that accidents are more likely to happen when you are fatigued. Also, I would highly recommend one of the goofy looking woodcutter helmets. They are great for keeping chips out of your eyes as well as protecting the noggin. Also, another thing that is helpful for extremely high cuts is a long forked pole of some sort because there will be times when you get the bar pinched and hung up.

#10 ·
Get the Stihl 8'. But if you are a young man 25-40 yrs old and you can handle
Physical labor get the 16' telescopic. For every hour u cut u will have 2-3 hrs
Of brush to move or pickup. I know from experience because I have the 8'
& had it going on 10 yrs plus it's safer than a chain saw. Easy cutting any
Thing 3-4" in dia. But anything much bigger I normally don't cut

#11 ·
I have the Stihl kombi system. I have pole saw,and an extension, that way I can adjust easily to height I'm using for more versatility, I also have blower attachment, string trimmer, brush trimmer and blade.
One of the best tools I own.
Always use ethanol free gas and it will last along time. I have 3 Stihl chainsaws,the oldest is 25 years, still going strong. Money well spent.

#12 ·
My Dad has the big Stihl telescoping one and I have the small Stihl that breaks down into two pieces. We always carry both, but every time, my small one gets picked up first to see if we can reach it. I would recommend getting the big one since you will probably only be buying one. If you do get the big one, always use the shoulder harness when you can. That way you may still be able to brush your teeth the next morning. The small one that breaks down is great for carrying on a 4-wheeler or buggy since it won't stick out and catch on everything. BTW, the one that my dad has is 15-20 years old and still works great. Last year My brother did have to replace the pole and shaft since a big limb fell on it and it was bent too bad to bend back.

#14 ·
Ended up getting the HT 101 professional series that can reach up to 16 ft....not light but hopefully I'll get yrs of service out of it. Also got it on sale for 15% off normal price....[omg]. I'll never tell my wife what I paid.....she wouldn't understand. It's a habitat thing....

#15 ·
Ended up getting the HT 101 professional series that can reach up to 16 ft....not light but hopefully I'll get yrs of service out of it. Also got it on sale for 15% off normal price....
. I'll never tell my wife what I paid.....she wouldn't understand. It's a habitat thing....
When you finish with the limbs and want to aim lower check out the Stihl FS360 brush cutter. DO NOT tell the wife about it though, it is pricey. Makes clearing trees up to about 3" diameter much quicker and cleaner.

#19 · (Edited)
Hey there! So, last year I needed to trim some tall trees in my yard and I discovered this website while looking for a good pole saw: https://www.ukplаnettools.co.uk/saws/circular-saw/power-saw . I got a power saw from them, and I gotta say, it's been a total game-changer!
Funny story – a storm rolled through my area one night and left a bunch of broken branches hanging around. With my new power saw in hand, I went out to clean up the mess. It was so much easier than I thought it would be!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.