Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Didn’t hunt Monday due to weather...let 3 longbeards walk yesterday because it was pouring rain...then I wiffed this morning. That’s what I get I reckon..

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At least you've been able to go. That's never a bad thing, but the miss, ouch. The hardest part of every turkey season is watching all these posts roll in while I'm working. Can't wait to join you guys in the woods.

Didn’t hunt Monday due to weather...let 3 longbeards walk yesterday because it was pouring rain...then I wiffed this morning. That’s what I get I reckon..

·
Administrator
8,595 Posts
Went the first 2 days with not a peep heard. bad weather moved in so I am waiting for a clear morning. Looks like we should get it this weekend. Good luck folks.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Tomorrow morning will be the first time in the woods for me this year. Sure do miss the life this forum use to have on so many topics.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am fine with the older breed on this board. Always some good conversation. There have been some great stories shared on here.

Social media has ruined many things and hunting is just another casualty. These kids and many adults live to share their next kill.

The new breed are addicted to Zuccerberg, thankfully.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Turkey killing instead of Turkey hunting has turned a lot of people away that really love the sport. Things are just different than they were just a generation ago. I know a guy that has killed Turkeys the first two mornings of the season this week. He basically has been watching what time the birds get to his feeder each morning on his cell phone and gets a legal distance in front of the feeder makes a few half hearted calls and and the hens arrive as they always do with the Gobbler in tow. It's over almost before breakfast is served. Yes he did it according to the law I assume but was this really Turkey hunting. This goes on a whole bunch more than you think. The pressure of the kill is just to important. The experience has been lost. It's sad such a noble bird has to die this way. I sometimes think I want to write a book on Turkey hunting titled Who's fooling Who but it's not worth the price anymore. The Ketchup is already out the bottle.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I let 3 longbeards walk a couple days ago because when they came out it was pouring down the rain and they looked like wet rats. I didn’t even pick my gun up. My dad thought I was crazy but I had a great time watching them even though I didn’t take one home with me.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Those are illegally killed turkey , report him! There is no longer a distance rule. ANY turkey manipulated by bait is illegal to hunt!!

And yup, the direction of the sport sickens me. Least excited I've been for spring since I probably started....
Turkey killing instead of Turkey hunting has turned a lot of people away that really love the sport. Things are just different than they were just a generation ago. I know a guy that has killed Turkeys the first two mornings of the season this week. He basically has been watching what time the birds get to his feeder each morning on his cell phone and gets a legal distance in front of the feeder makes a few half hearted calls and and the hens arrive as they always do with the Gobbler in tow. It's over almost before breakfast is served. Yes he did it according to the law I assume but was this really Turkey hunting. This goes on a whole bunch more than you think. The pressure of the kill is just to important. The experience has been lost. It's sad such a noble bird has to die this way. I sometimes think I want to write a book on Turkey hunting titled Who's fooling Who but it's not worth the price anymore. The Ketchup is already out the bottle.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I’ve been everyday. I was yet to hear gobble until this morning. I did get on a good gobbling bird the second day messed with him 2 days thinking it was old bird by the way he acted , and he gobbled hard .... it was a jake. A strutting gobbling jake with hens. And yes I know it was a jake I finally got him in range at about 10 yards . Bonofied jake. Tiny head,not a full fan, 4” beard sticking straight out.... I was discouraged to say the least . I’ve seen 9 additional jakes in the woods since that day. Called 8 of the 9 in and they all came in silent. Different places on all of them with the exception of 4 which were in a group. This was all on public with the exception of the 4 which was at my camp. So yeah .... I’ve been bummed . Finally struck a bird at 8 o’clock this morning..... he answered me , no sooner Han I sat down a pack of beagles came through the bottom and hung around for 20 minutes. So that was the end of that fight. It’s been tough .... very tough. Definitely not the normal for me .... but I figured my mojo would run out eventually. Generally anytime I have a ton of time off I have a rough time lol. Hopefully things change soon and birds turn red hot because I’ve walked a lot of miles the last 7 days to have not found one yet. Yeah it’s been windy and cold but that hasn’t stopped me in the past from eventually calling one up....

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’ve been everyday. I was yet to hear gobble until this morning. I did get on a good gobbling bird the second day messed with him 2 days thinking it was old bird by the way he acted , and he gobbled hard .... it was a jake. A strutting gobbling jake with hens. And yes I know it was a jake I finally got him in range at about 10 yards . Bonofied jake. Tiny head,not a full fan, 4” beard sticking straight out.... I was discouraged to say the least . I’ve seen 9 additional jakes in the woods since that day. Called 8 of the 9 in and they all came in silent. Different places on all of them with the exception of 4 which were in a group. This was all on public with the exception of the 4 which was at my camp. So yeah .... I’ve been bummed . Finally struck a bird at 8 o’clock this morning..... he answered me , no sooner Han I sat down a pack of beagles came through the bottom and hung around for 20 minutes. So that was the end of that fight. It’s been tough .... very tough. Definitely not the normal for me .... but I figured my mojo would run out eventually. Generally anytime I have a ton of time off I have a rough time lol. Hopefully things change soon and birds turn red hot because I’ve walked a lot of miles the last 7 days to have not found one yet. Yeah it’s been windy and cold but that hasn’t stopped me in the past from eventually calling one up....
You know what they say... a bad day hunting is better than a great day at work. Glad you're out enjoying the time off.

I've been hunting public this week in GA. Should have scored this morning but hens gave me fits and this bird wouldn't play nice. I'm still amazed at how big these birds are yet can hide in wide open spaces and vanish at a moment's notice. They are built to last for sure. I could have shot but I didn't want to risk boogering him up in case I did something wrong. Not worth and he'll be there in the morning, hopefully. I will be anyway.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I let 3 longbeards walk a couple days ago because when they came out it was pouring down the rain and they looked like wet rats. I didn’t even pick my gun up. My dad thought I was crazy but I had a great time watching them even though I didn’t take one home with me.
To me a wet turkey looks like a drowned buzzard. I don't blame you! Glad you got one when he was dry! Beautiful Gobbler!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts