Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
8,671 Posts
Yep seen that also. Think I’m still gonna wait till end of month to plant though. I’m just tossing my seed out and gonna run bush hog over them. No spraying or tilling this year.
That can work, but be careful in places with really thick green vegetation. Spraying lets the vegetation die and dry somewhat before clipping.

When you don't spray, the clipped vegetation can go through a heat cycle (similar to compost) on top of your seed and reduce germination.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
That can work, but be careful in places with really thick green vegetation. Spraying lets the vegetation die and dry somewhat before clipping.

When you don't spray, the clipped vegetation can go through a heat cycle (similar to compost) on top of your seed and reduce germination.
Thanks for the heads up Randy. A lot of the grass looks dead already due to lack of moisture. I did mow these plots mid summer so it’s not terribly high right now.

Even thought about just passing my roller over it (crimping) instead of cutting. I may do that to 1 plot.

·
Administrator
8,671 Posts
I made the mistake of planting the middle of last month. Looking like a baseball infield currently.
Weatherman says we might get a shower late next week. Time to do the rain dance, wash the truck, etc. We need all the help we can get right now. The pendulum has unfortunately swung far from that 12 inches of rain in August.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yep I seen that also. I’m gonna buy all my seed and have it on standby for whenever I do decide to plant.
I wish I had done that already. Now the rain chances have gone back up for Wednesday/Thursday. I can’t get back up there until Tuesday, not enough time to get what I need, disc and plant before Wednesday.

I may go buy everything Tuesday an have everything ready. Depending on how much rain we get I may disc and plant a couple days after the rain.

·
Administrator
8,671 Posts
Not much. i use FarmLogs to track rainfall and it says .1 My house isn't but maybe 15 mins from camp and we didn't get much at the house either. Streets were already dry this morning on way to work. We need a couple more rains and some more significant rainfall in a bad way. The chance of rain at the end of the weekend has been significantly reduced so it may be a while before we get anything on these plots.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Droughts are hard to bust in the fall. That's why old timers often yearned for tropical depressions/storms and even hurricanes. I can recall several years of bad droughts. 98 then a terrible one in 2000, then 2015 and 16 were back to back real bad droughts. Some in between/amongst those years but those were doozies! Lots of dead trees, downed pine trees still on the ground in the HNF.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts