Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started fishing a good bit again since moving back into town, and have been working on landing some redfish and black drum. Ive had some luck at Ocean Springs pier, and by some grassy areas in the Gulf Hills area but for the most part im not coming up with much.
Im the first one to admit Im terrible with lures, and definitely need some work in that department, but ive been using alot of DOA shrimp, and live shrimp when I can.
If I can get any tips on what time of day/tide is best, and how to retrieve lures to attract redfish, that would be awesome.
I use an egg sinker on a carolina rig, and I have some peeler crabs and penny shrimp from Gulp!, and also a minnow lure and some curltail grubs.
The best redfish ive caught in the past week was about 15", and the best black drum was at only 11", so i havent been doing to great.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah for the most part im fishing off the bank with exception of some broken piers that go out about 15 feet and i cast towards the grass banks usually then.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you want some BIG black drum buy half a dozen blue crabs and cut them right in half. Break the two back legs off, run a circle hook through the holes and cast it off any pier using a slip rig or carolina rig.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want some BIG black drum buy half a dozen blue crabs and cut them right in half. Break the two back legs off, run a circle hook through the holes and cast it off any pier using a slip rig or carolina rig.
awesome ill definitely have to try it. I hook big blue crabs all the time on my line and they hang on all the way in, Im gonna have to start using them.
Hopefully I can get this lure thing down so i dont have to keep losing my bait to catfish though haha.

·
Registered
16,301 Posts
Try what Lance suggested to you off of the Washington Street pier in BSL especially after dark.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think it's more about getting to the right location. Redfish will destroy live shrimp under a popping cork but you've got to get to where they are.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Get a tide app and keep up with it. A good falling tide is hard to beat. I like to fish an hour or so after a tide has peaked and starts rolling out. If you find an area that looks redfishy try a who dat spoon. Simple bait to work and extremely deadly. Just throw it out and reel it in slow. It will wobble side to side and has rattles in it. They have them with and without a spinner bait blade. I like the one with a blade but have caught them on both. At the right time redfish will eat anything. Fresh crabs on the bottom are hard to beat in troughs or deep holes when the tide is moving.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Bottom fishing from a pier, I'd go cracked crab on the bottom for 2 reason: Keep bait stealers away and drum love crabs. If you're working a grassy bank I've caught tons of redfish on market shrimp or live minnows under a popping cork. I like live/natural bait when fishing grass lines because you can leave it in the strike zone longer (unless you're in a kayak and can stay on the grass line). I've also caught a lot of redfish on vudu shrimp and swim baits. Redfish will eat almost anything. What I fish depends most on how I'm fishing.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Get a tide app and keep up with it. A good falling tide is hard to beat. I like to fish an hour or so after a tide has peaked and starts rolling out. If you find an area that looks redfishy try a who dat spoon. Simple bait to work and extremely deadly. Just throw it out and reel it in slow. It will wobble side to side and has rattles in it. They have them with and without a spinner bait blade. I like the one with a blade but have caught them on both. At the right time redfish will eat anything. Fresh crabs on the bottom are hard to beat in troughs or deep holes when the tide is moving.
Exactly what wadshooter said. Also, regular spinnerbaits (redfish magic), a good ole plain gold johnson spoon is deadly (I like 1/2 oz). ANYTHING under a popping cork, but for artificial, I like gulp new penny with a chartreuse tail (if it aint chartreuse it aint no use). Topwater - black and chatruese Rapala Skitterwalk a good place to start. Once you have a red maul that topwater...smh. But something under a popping cork is probably best, like ringing the dinner bell.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Exactly what wadshooter said. Also, regular spinnerbaits (redfish magic), a good ole plain gold johnson spoon is deadly (I like 1/2 oz). ANYTHING under a popping cork, but for artificial, I like gulp new penny with a chartreuse tail (if it aint chartreuse it aint no use). Topwater - black and chatruese Rapala Skitterwalk a good place to start. Once you have a red maul that topwater...smh. But something under a popping cork is probably best, like ringing the dinner bell.
well today I grabbed a cajun thunder popping cork, and a bunch of live shrimp, I tried a few variations of what ive been told but didnt have too much luck, I was fishing at the peak of the tide when it started to go back down and unfortunately it just wasnt my day. I grabbed one flounder on a penny Gulp! bait dragging along the bottom, but only caught really small baby reds (less than 6" or so) other than that so maybe it just wasnt my day. im going to keep trying it, but one problem i had with my popping cork was the sinkers, i didnt use any but i used a weighted jig head. i caught absolutely nothing on the cajun thunder, so hopefully i can get some advice on how to get this locked in haha.
I appreciate all the help so far!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Putting in work.. Bank pounding ain't no joke!
But like someone else said, it's about location(I.e. Right place at the right time) and who knows when or where that'll be! Good luck. I had to get a boat to get on em consistently.

·
Registered
868 Posts
well today I grabbed a cajun thunder popping cork, and a bunch of live shrimp, I tried a few variations of what ive been told but didnt have too much luck, I was fishing at the peak of the tide when it started to go back down and unfortunately it just wasnt my day. I grabbed one flounder on a penny Gulp! bait dragging along the bottom, but only caught really small baby reds (less than 6" or so) other than that so maybe it just wasnt my day. im going to keep trying it, but one problem i had with my popping cork was the sinkers, i didnt use any but i used a weighted jig head. i caught absolutely nothing on the cajun thunder, so hopefully i can get some advice on how to get this locked in haha.
I appreciate all the help so far!
Derek, for red fish in shallow water (less than 3-4 ft), put on about and 18" leader. For live shrimp you can use a light (1\8 oz) jighead or what I like is a #2 bait hook with just a small amount of split shot lead to help keep the shrimp down and for gulp, I like an 1/8 or 1/4 oz jighead. With shrimp, you dont need much movement, just a couple of light pops to ring the bell, also if you get to aggressive with the pops you could loose shrimp. With artificial, give it 2-3 good pops and let it set for a 2-3 count and continue.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Derek, for red fish in shallow water (less than 3-4 ft), put on about and 18" leader. For live shrimp you can use a light (1\8 oz) jighead or what I like is a #2 bait hook with just a small amount of split shot lead to help keep the shrimp down and for gulp, I like an 1/8 or 1/4 oz jighead. With shrimp, you dont need much movement, just a couple of light pops to ring the bell, also if you get to aggressive with the pops you could loose shrimp. With artificial, give it 2-3 good pops and let it set for a 2-3 count and continue.
Thanks for that, I'm definitely gonna give it a shot tonight. I have some artificial and live on me some I'm going to give this another try. I do graphic design so I have the luck to be able to go down and fish just about every day or 2, so I'm not giving up anytime soon!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts