Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Browning AB3 long range in 6.5 Creedmore and put a Sig Sauer whiskey 3 scope on it. I took it to the range yesterday and the best I could get with Hornady precision hunters was 1-1/2"s. I bought some Hornady whitetail hunter and some cheaper fmj and went back to the range. Cleaned the barrel and sent 3 fmj and got 1-1/2 group. Run a brush and a patch and ran 3 whitetail hunters got about a inch. ran 6 cheap fmj down the pipe and put the last 4 in a 1/2" . Is it natural for the group size to tighten up the more you shoot? Also ,do you think it will work into liking the precision hunters?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Most rifles will become more accurate as they are shot some. Some need more break in than others. All of the rifles I buy new get a deep clean before I ever shoot them and then a clean between every shot to ten and after every three, three more times. I do not consider accuracy while I am doing this but do try to get as close to zero as possible. If nothing else it makes the barrel a lot easier to clean for ever. Most will shoot better after they have several shots through them without a deep clean or any clean at all. Will the Precision Hunters be the bullet/load it likes? Maybe. It is expensive to test a lot of different loads but if you are going to keep/shoot/hunt with it for a long time it is worth the investment. BTW a lot of rifles are 1.5 inch guns. There are lots of ways to try to improve accuracy of a rifle but that’s another thread. Good Luck!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes sir it was new, but no I didn't clean it. I've been lucky with the few other rifles I bought new. Thanks for the reply. It makes me feel better knowing that it will possibly get better. I usually buy used to save money but I bought 2 new ones lately.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Quit cleaning it. Most rifles do not shoot nearly as well on a clean bore as they do on a fouled bore. Shoot half a dozen cheap rounds down range before starting your sight-in. Then, after sighting in don't touch the bore until next year (or maybe even the next 4 years if you don't shoot it much).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.