Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Agreed with the above.
Personally I use salt and a good free choice cattle mineral.
Also they work good if you establish them in the spring.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I hunt just north of you…we use the Lucky Buck mineral that comes in the 20 lb buckets. The deer really like it up here…smells awesome. I’ve even been tempted to try it…lol.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Salt licks aren't going to do you a lot of good this time of year. They need to be placed out so that deer can eat them during the antler growing season. Antlers are fully grown now, so no need for the additional mineral.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I just throw the $8 brown 50# mineral blocks from tractor supply. Deer utilize them try out summer as trail cams show them licking them.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Go to your local co-op/feed store and compare the feed tags of cattle minerals to deer minerals. I was able to get 3 times the minerals for half the price of the bags and boxes with deer on them.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
A friend of mine gave me one of those heavy molasses tubs last year…it’s still sitting there and hasn’t been touched.

·
Registered
298 Posts
100 lbs of stock salt
100 lbs of trace minerals
50 lbs of Di Cal
Some people add grape Koolaid to the mix but I find that attracts the hogs.
Mix is all together and put out half in March and the other half in July. Find an old stump and pour it on and around the it. The deer will come back year after year licking and crewing on the stump. Refresh it every year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts