Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting my boy a shotgun for his 13th bday and wondering if getting an automatic or a pump is better?

Kinda looking for a cheapish one due to us not really having a need for one but I believe every young man should have a shotgun.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
He is kind of at a tough age for gun buying. He will likely be too small for an adult sized firearm so a youth model would be more appropriate. However, assuming normal growth that would be a purchase that has limited life (unless you have another kid to hand it down). Personally, whatever style you choose I would look to buy one that has a second youth stock.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is kind of at a tough age for gun buying. He will likely be too small for an adult sized firearm so a youth model would be more appropriate. However, assuming normal growth that would be a purchase that has limited life (unless you have another kid to hand it down). Personally, whatever style you choose I would look to buy one that has a second youth stock.
Lil booger is my height at 5’4”. I’m going adult sized for sure with him.

I’m just questioning if I should go pump or auto.

·
Administrator
8,671 Posts
Its hard to beat an 870 pump when it comes to hunting shotguns. The older ones are equally useful for paddling the boat as they are shooting longbeards or squirrels because they are so durable. Once tungsten became mainstream, I switch from a 10 gauge to a 20 gauge Remington youth compact to kill turkeys. Much easier to carry up and down those hills.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sports Center in Natchez has a Stevens S1200 for $330. I may just get him that for now.

Anyone have experience with that gun?
We decided on the Stevens and so far this gun is great for what we do. He killed his 1st two squirrel with it last week.

Now he wants to get beagles for rabbit hunting, decoys for duck hunting, buck shot and slugs for deer and wants to start turkey hunting. I think I may have woken a hunting animal! haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts