Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Almost positive you have to have a commercial license.
MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972
As Amended

SEC. 49-7-47. Restrictions on hunting or catching alligators or common snapping turtles.

(1) The commission may control, regulate and manage the taking of all alligators and common snapping turtles.

(2) Residents and nonresidents shall be required to purchase a combination hunting and fishing license to hunt, kill or catch any alligator or common snapping turtle for sporting purposes.

(3) Residents and nonresidents shall be required to obtain a special permit to hunt, kill, catch or possess any alligator or common snapping turtle for commercial purposes. The commission may establish a reasonable fee for an annual special sporting permit, not to exceed Two Hundred Dollars ($200.00), and may prescribe regulations governing commercial trade in alligators and common snapping turtles. Any reasonable fee established for an annual special commercial permit shall not exceed Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00). Such permit shall be good from the date of its issuance to June 30 following its date.

(4) Any person violating this section is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class I offense and is punishable as provided in Section 49-7-141.

SOURCES: Codes, 1942, Sec. 5883.5; Laws, 1962, ch. 186, Secs. 1-4; 1985, ch. 452, Sec. 13; 1987, ch. 430; 1989, ch. 359, Sec. 1, eff from and after July 1, 1989. Amended by Laws 2000, Ch. 516, Sec. 68, HB666; Laws, 2004, ch. 341, § 1, SB 2886, eff from and after passage (approved Apr. 19, 2004.).

PREVIOUS VERSIONS: Pre-2004

It doesn't look like the department has chosen to regulate methods, limits, or regulations in regards to snapping turtles. A search of their website reveals nothing more than a requirement to have a commercial fishing license for the purpose of harvesting snapping turtles to sale. Were the softshells on the endangered or protected species list?

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
I think we found what we're looking for. You can have up to 20 turtles but only 4 of a single species except the alligator snapping turtle. You're only allowed one of them with a shell over 24" long each day but not between April 1st through June 30th which means if you stick your hand in one's mouth checking your noodling boxes, you're not supposed to exact revenge by having turtle soup that night! [notagain]

There's a couple of threads on this subject so I'll post there as well.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Todd Macko said:
I think we found what we're looking for. You can have up to 20 turtles but only 4 of a single species except the alligator snapping turtle. You're only allowed one of them with a shell over 24" long each day but not between April 1st through June 30th which means if you stick your hand in one's mouth checking your noodling boxes, you're not supposed to exact revenge by having turtle soup that night! [notagain]

There's a couple of threads on this subject so I'll post there as well.

ha ha

·
Registered
1 Posts
If not there should be. I am in a state park watching ppl fish and i just observed a man haul in a third adult american softshell turtle, mutilate it by stabbing it repeatedly, then cut a large chunk out of the poor thing . He proceeded to put that hunk of turtle on a hook , threw it back into the water to catch another turtle with and as an added horror he proceeded to kick the half dead carcus into the water where the animal can bleed out and drown at the same time.
YES I SAID "THIRD"
All in the last hour. Its horrifyling to see and unthinkable to imagine what the animal must be goi g thru. SMFH ... Wth is wrong with ppl?
I notified fish and game , they said theyd send someone but havnt yet and were unclear about wether or not its against the law to do this. How is there any doubt?? If its not animal cruelty then what is??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts