Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Ha, got our roof replace last week.

I seen a decent amount of deer (does, fawns and spikes) at our place since Friday. Have 1 more hunt this evening to make then it’s all about my 2 boys getting them each a deer next weekend.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
We are slowly putting the storm repairs in the rear view mirror.

Got ya, good luck to your son's next weekend. I usually have my friends daughter hunting with me for the youth opener but she can't make it this weekend so we rescheduled for the weekend of the 13th.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yesterday evening I saw a total of 5 but no shots. Had 2 does at 4:00 feeding towards me about 80 yards out, got to 40yds and they bedded down for 20 minutes. When they got up they browsed off back the way they came.
This morning around 7:30 I see 3 deer coming my way. I stand and get in position for a shot. They got to about 15 yds to my left but no shot there. The lead deer a 3pt goes behind me while a doe and 6pt start to head in front of my stand. Just before the doe gets in an opening the 3pt behind me spooks and they all run back where they came from. They stood there about 25yds away for about 10 minutes looking around and occasionally browsing before walking off. At around 8:30 I saw another deer a ways off and I am pretty sure it was a racked buck. I never got a shot this morning but it was a good sit. Maybe this evening.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Stickbow hunting is hard....but I think its the hard part that keeps it interesting. I've always thought that there is some informal fraternal bond among traditional shooters; meaning that I usually find that we are all often very much alike.

I contribute that primarily to the hardship and sometimes difficult learning curve that ever trad hunter has to go through. Most people eventually give up on something that they perceive as too hard, those few that push through and persevere come out the other side amazingly similar.

It will happen for you. I think you have a great deal of what older folks call 'grit'

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hopefully they will move this morning for the kids, good luck Rancher.

Stringwacker I think you are right in your statement above. Yes it’s hard and not for everyone but I know eventually it will happen. I just keep trying when I get the chance. I have let several deer go that I would have shot with my compound due to their positioning or the distance.We are headed home today so I didn’t hunt this morning. That stand needs a break anyway, next trip I will set up another stand to keep the pressure off of them.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts