Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stripes, Spots & Dots Tournament
CCA will again be hosting a tournament in conjunction with the Biloxi Boat & RV Show on Feb. 22nd. This is your chance to compete for over $8,000 in guaranteed prizes for your best sheepshead, speckled trout and redfish. That's right - SHEEPSHEAD! Have you ever seen a $2,500 Sheepshead? Well, we are giving you a chance to cash one in at the Biloxi Boat & RV Show for big pay day. There will also be a Spots & Dots division with a combined trout and redfish stringer as well as youth divisions, optional calcuttas and plenty of door prizes. Proceeds from the tournament will benefit the CCA Mississippi Scholarship Fund and fisheries research.

Early entry prizes are up for grabs for anyone that registers by Feb. 18th - including raffle tickets for a loaded Yeti cooler and a $10,000 hot tub (hot tub tickets given to the first 100 people to register). It is only $25 for CCA Members and $40 for non-members that register by Feb. 18th and $30/$45 for anglers that register after the 18th. Non-member registration fees include a 1 year membership to CCA.

Additional information on prizes, rules and entry can be found on the CCA Mississippi website at www.ccamississippi.org or on the CCA MS Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/events/1393133824282581/. Send any questions to [email protected].

I hope to see you all at the tournament or drop by the booth at the show.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Kid you not, reading those first few sentences, it almost seemed like someone was deliberately trying to mess with me. haha. How random is that? All of a sudden, big money for biggest sheepshead. Maybe it will be a hit, and they will continue to do it every year.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Kid you not, reading those first few sentences, it almost seemed like someone was deliberately trying to mess with me. haha. How random is that? All of a sudden, big money for biggest sheepshead. Maybe it will be a hit, and they will continue to do it every year.
im with you Kyle .. this here has caught my attention .. $2500.00 .. dang!!!! .. may have to look into this ..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to Mobile Marine in Ocean Springs for stepping up to provide some great door prizes for the Stripes, Spots & Dots Tournament. They will be providing several gift certificates for free fuel injector cleaning for up to 6 injectors. This will be a great prize for a few lucky people at the Captain's meeting and at the weigh-in.
Mobile Marine can help you get your boat in shape for the season so give them a call. If you want the work done for free you will need to register for the tournament and win one of their gift certificates. Registration is available online at www.ccamississippi.org.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Marine Forecast for Saturday is looking good with a high of 67. Get registered for the Stripes Spots and Dots Tournament today for the early entry fee and prizes.
FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. WAVES
1 FOOT OR LESS.
SATURDAY NIGHT
NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. WAVES 2 FEET.
CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Kyle, in your position don't you have access to a govt jet that can fly you down to guide Troutman? Yall could split the loot and make it back to DC for dinner! Where there's a will there's a way!

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Well if Kyle comes you can go ahead and write him a $2500 check, so that should cover expenses nicely! Just don't let the Sheepies know he is in town, or they will all head for Mexico!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Kyle, in your position don't you have access to a govt jet that can fly you down to guide Troutman? Yall could split the loot and make it back to DC for dinner! Where there's a will there's a way!
(not sure why Kyle would need me but yes... I'll split his winnnings!)

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Results???
Lets just say I'll be changing my name from Troutman to Lucky Jailbird!

Some good fish turned in on a tough day of fishing. I'll post more details later when I get a chance.... Y'all absolutely will not believe how I caught this sheepshead. I still don't believe it.

CCA did a great job organizing this tournament for the Boat Show. Thanks Johnny!

·
Registered
16,293 Posts
Lets just say I'll be changing my name from Troutman to Lucky Jailbird!
Y'all absolutely will not believe how I caught this sheepshead. I still don't believe it.

!
This absolutely made my day!!!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
As Paul Harvey would say, the rest of the story:

I began wade fishing at midnight, a few casts later, caught a 21 inch red. Nothing else at that spot, went to 2nd spot and waded from 1am to almost 4am. A lot of mullet in this area so it looked promising. Tide was dead low so I made my way over to a slight drop off and started getting bit on a Pearl-chartreuse corky fatboy floater. Caught a few trout with a 17" and a 19" going on the stringer.

Next cast I backlashed... Turned on my cap light and took a few minutes to dig it out. As I reeled in the slack, the rod slammed over and drag was getting stripped. It was not fighting like a red a all. Backed off the drag, didn't want to rip the lip of a huge trout! After a while, got it close (still had my cap light on), and saw the flash!!! With stripes... Initial reaction was total disgust, then I remembered the sheepshead division! Got her in the landing net and figured out a way to get that beast on the stringer. 7.48 lbs. took first place by 0.04 lbs. no doubt I was the only person to weigh a sheepshead that never touched natural bait all day. I'd have a better chance of hitting the powerball than trying to repeat that catch on a freaking corky!

I fished out of my skiff from 6am till 3:3pm. Caught more trout and a few more reds but never was able to upgrade my stringer. My 2 trout and red had a combined weight of 7.3 lbs. I think I ended up in 6th place with that but only the top three was in the prizes. my red nearly won the most spots contest (had 11 spots) but a guy brought one in at the end with 20-something spots. Think it was 28?.

No pictures... I gave the sheepshead to the research lab students there and my trout/reds went to the Matrix booth.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts