Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

Surf Fishing South LA

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Kyle46N 
#1 ·
Here is the link to another blog post that I just completed. I will keep posting them to the bull, unless yall tell me otherwise.
This one deals with the west delta in LA, and is a reflection of the times we spent wadefishing the surf out of Port Sulphur. A few on the bull have been able to get a glimpse at how awesome it was and how incredible it can be again. Enjoy!
http://trophytrout.blogspot.com/2014/07/reflecting-back-looking-ahead.html?m=1
Tight lines and God bless.
Chris

#2 ·
Good read bro. I am one of those who had the pleasure and the privilege to experience what your last blog is about. Unless a person has personally experienced it they will never understand just how insanely good it was and hopefully will be again. I hope I get to see and experience it again in my lifetime.

#3 ·
Hopefully more of us can have an experience like this. Unfortunately, I fear that it will get worse, before the powers that be wake up and it gets better.

#4 ·
Sounds like an awesome trip. The outdoors are definitely my cathedral. I never feel closer than when I'm surrounded by such a beautiful creation. I love fishing the islands because there you can look south and see nothing by man, just nature.

Would a trip like you described still be productive? Sounds incredible. I haven't spent much time in the marsh but I agree we have to save them. There is no more effecient and interesting ecosystem and we've done a lot of damage already.

#5 ·
Sounds like an awesome trip. The outdoors are definitely my cathedral. I never feel closer than when I'm surrounded by such a beautiful creation. I love fishing the islands because there you can look south and see nothing by man, just nature.

Would a trip like you described still be productive? Sounds incredible. I haven't spent much time in the marsh but I agree we have to save them. There is no more effecient and interesting ecosystem and we've done a lot of damage already.
Hoyt, these trips happened almost eveytime we went out. It was my playground. Me and my friends would get lost in the marsh in my little 16 ft flat...it was incredible. During summer break after baseball, we stay at my families camp for Weeks and never buy groceries....memories man. In the last 10 years or so the state started rebuildind the barrier island between shell island pass and 4 bayou pass, when the started pumping sand it filled in Shell island pass, Eddies pass, bay Joe wise , bayou huertes pass, bay la mer pass and bay long. The last pass Chaland pass is the last to fill in and it did so this past winter. As SJ and some others can attest, fishing the surf in those passes is nothing short of incredible. As a result of the passes being closed, all the water movement in and out of the marsh has stopped and this year they r having the worst shrimp season ever, as a result, the fishing isnt remotely close to wahat it was. Its tough watching the slow death of something that provided so many good memories.

#8 ·
Wow. And I was looking forward to, hopefully, duplicating the success y'all experienced that last trip this coming Spring.

#9 ·
Wow. And I was looking forward to, hopefully, duplicating the success y'all experienced that last trip this coming Spring.
If we wish to duplicate what we did last spring for our running of the bulls get together we need a low river. If the river is low and we can get somewhere on the beach by running through Bastian bay or four bayous, we'll make it happen. It may not be 150 in less than an hour, but we should be able to put some nice boxes together. We also had a ridiculously cold wet winter this past year...that said, its still nowhere like it used to be.

#11 ·
That's exactly what I was thinking SJ. The pass that we fished could easily be dredged and dredged to a decent depth. Sure it would only be a temporary fix, but would be worth it I think. I don't know about the other passes, not sure how wide they are from the water in the marsh to the beach front.

#13 ·
That's exactly what I was thinking SJ. The pass that we fished could easily be dredged and dredged to a decent depth. Sure it would only be a temporary fix, but would be worth it I think. I don't know about the other passes, not sure how wide they are from the water in the marsh to the beach front.
I wish it was that easy...the state had no choice but to bolster the barrier islands in lower plaquemines for storm protection. If they dredged the passes it would be to costly and counterproductive. Also, its a band aid to a sucking chest wound...the real issue is there is no land left (which was the storm protection). Which goes back to my post about understanding the States Master plan to divert the river in a series of locations to hopefully produce some land and slow some of the erosion process. Lot of hands in the pot right now, and unchartered waters for many

#12 ·
What a good read! I no longer live close enough but to make only a few trips down a year but I can only imagine what that must've been like and the heartache that has come with seeing a place with such fond memories be basically destroyed. I hope something takes a turn for the better my friend and thanks for sharing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.