Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this my best option for a locater call? How often should I call if I hear no gobble? Im trying to learn as much as possible before opening day. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I can "owl" good enough using just my voice. I just do the single note "WHO"

But I can't "crow" without a call. If I could only buy one of those, I'd have to get a crow.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I would also get a crow call. If you owl or crow call and nothing gobbles wait a little and do it again, if nothing move down the ridge or logging road a 100 or so yards and do it again. Still nothing and you know there are turkeys in the area just set up and call softly and see if you get anything, if nothing move around and do some cutting and see if you can strike anything.

·
Registered
540 Posts
get a palmers hoot tube, primos power crow (black an gold) an a haydels hawk screamer. the palmer hoot tube is the best hands down, the primos power crow sounds good, an the haydels hawk screamer for mid day shock gobbles is awesome. if a turkey will gobble at a an owl he will deffinately gobble at the palmer

·
Registered
188 Posts
sounds like some good advice. Another good call that you can use sparingly to locate is a gobbler tube. Mosty as an all else fails kind of thing. Otherwise, Owl call early and then a crow like everyone said

·
Registered
476 Posts
Definately, I'd get the hoot tube.  I like it the best.  The trick is to get the real owls fired up and they will do the work for you. 

·
Registered
501 Posts
I just received an owl call made by Hook's Custom Calls called the hoot'n stick. He has won major contests with this call and it is awesome. He's on the Old Gobblers Forum.

·
Registered
15,861 Posts
Owl call and power crow by primos (is the black and gold one the old style) Listen to some owls early and they'll tell you what to do, lot of times they'll fire up and you'll wish theyed shut up, the power crow is an awesome locator, don't be scared to hit it hard, harder the better alot of times. Good luck, leave frustration in the truck and soak up every moment, you'll have a blast!

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
DC1 said:
Try to let him gobble on his own first .
He does it completely on his own. I just make him when I hoot to him. lol
I sound ok with my natural voice but prefer a older Knight & Hale hooter.

·
Banned
594 Posts
I don't believe in just waiting on the turkey to gobble.

Don't rule the crow call out at first light....I've had my best luck with a crow call as the sky was just starting to bright'n up.

I start out with single note hoots every little bit with my natural voice mixed it with some hoots from a can type hooter.

If I'm sure a gobblers in the area and just won't respond I'll then go into the full monty owling with my voice.

If that fails I sometimes go back to single hoots followed with an immediate gobble on my box call.

If no response I usually move on. Most days I go I hear a turkey gobble.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Treeclimber if your trying to make turkeys gobble over a large area or real early so you can make your way to them as early as possible you can get a pea**** call or a silent dog whistle they also work.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My luck has always been using a owl call till the sun is breaking . when the twitty birds start waking up you should be ready for the crow call if they aren't gobbling yet. And when you hear other crows in the distance you can use your call to get them fired up and hopefully get one to let loose!

·
Super Moderator
13,427 Posts
Early i like a single note owl with my voice, if it starts to get light or the song birds are getting started i use a crow call and hit it one time sharp and hard.
I don't like any drawn out locator if i don't have too unless hunting with a buddy to listen.
If you are by yourself and do several notes you may not hear a distant gobble or have trouble coursing it.
This becomes more of a factor the later in the year with the more leaves.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I will usually try to let him gobble on his own, but there are times when you need him to gobble RIGHT NOW....

I have one property that I hunt that has a lot of road traffic noise and if I don't try to dictate exactly "when" he gobbles, I will probably never be able to hear him gobble when he arbitrarily decides to do so on his own....

·
Registered
328 Posts
longknife said:
I just received an owl call made by Hook's Custom Calls called the hoot'n stick. He has won major contests with this call and it is awesome. He's on the Old Gobblers Forum.
I got one a few weeks ago and it does sound awesome. The Hooks crow call sounds good too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Maybe it is just me but I have never had a turky answer my dang crow call. I have had a lot of luck with an owl call or just a good cut..but you better be careful cuttings cause if he answers he might be running to ya.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts