Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

Thermal/Wind Direction

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Rancher 
#1 ·
I have a spot on the club that is near a creek. My bow stand will be maybe 15yds from this creek. In the evenings when thermals start to drop my scent will be dropping into this creek.

My question is will my scent follow the flow of the water? I ask this cause I believe the deer are coming to this spot via crossing the creek about 75yds infront of me which is down stream therefore catching my scent before they get into bow range. Thanks

#4 ·
I hunt a property that is mostly water ways. I haven't noticed my scent following the creeks and sloughs as a general rule; rather the prevailing wind rules a particular day. The only exception is when the wind is dead calm (like often happens as dawn and dusk) the thermals will follow the drop of elevation...which is usually the waterway because the waters flows in the direction of the drop in elevation. I find it more of an morning thing rather than an afternoon event.

At my place, the Big Black runs through the center. Every morning at dawn when the wind is calm and still, the thermals go east to west; then at about 8 o'clock the wind switches the thermals to the forecasted direction of the day.

I guess the answer to your questions is....it depends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.