Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little boy is 5 and we have been trying the past 2 days to get him one. Yesterday morning we had a bird gobble once on the roost and he flew down to another green patch with 10 hens and a Jake. Not wanting to make a move through thinned pines with a 5 year old, we decided to stay put and see if they would work their way to us. About 8:30 the gobbler gets fired up and comes to the edge of our green patch but stays inside the wood line just out of range.

Fast forward to this morning, we were set up and waiting for daylight in the green patch they went to yesterday morning after fly down. 5 birds start gobbling with 2 being less than 100 yards to our right. They pitch down in a logging road 80 yards away and strut for 45 minutes with the hens never making their way towards the green patch. Meanwhile, one to our northeast is burning it up on the ground and gaining ground quick. Before we know it, he is 50 yards and I get my boys .410 single shot ****ed and ready to go. Wouldn’t you know it he starts circling us and ol dad don’t have any other option but to take one for the team. I un****ed my boys gun and said son, I’ll buy you a snowcone later but dads about to have to kill this turkey. I ease around and his head is behind a tree and am able to get a bead on him and when he cleared the tree he was introduced to the new Rogue #9s at 38 steps. My boy was tickled and even though he didn’t get to pull the trigger on this one he said he had a blast! Thank you Lord for giving me the ability to chase these birds that we are so blessed to hunt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats! I've sniped one out from under my kids before when they couldn't get on it. I paid them back in spades before and since!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts