Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This month I received a new bow and have been very happy with how it shoots. It really seems to like the GT carbons with a 100 grain broadhead adaptor and a 125 grain Zwicky Black Diamond two blade Eskimo.

Though enjoyable, it's been a real slow slog this archery season with very few animals spotted. Up unto this morning; I haven't shot at anything....honestly, nothing even close to a shot had materialized over the last two weeks. I think I had seen 5 deer total from my stands.

I was a little surprised this morning to see this doe walking up behind me and going under my stand. I assume the gig was about to be up; but she neither smelled me or sensed my presence. I waiting and let her move far enough out so that I wasn't shooting down on her back for better arrow placement. At the appropriate time, the new bow smoked the arrow across the 20 yards, hitting her tight behind the shoulder. I heard her crash down in the woods so I knew the hunt was over.

I like to think the new bow is 1-0-0 with a lot of mojo. With a trip to Kansas coming up in a couple of weeks, I'm hoping the 'mojo' container has just been opened... and lots of it is left:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Way to go String!! Congrats!

Did you say you're retired? Dang dude...you've taken care of yourself. You look way younger than I do and I'm still doing the daily grind!

How big is that doe?
She was one of the larger swamp does that I've killed. She was 92 pounds field dressed so maybe around 115 live weight? Deer don't have big bodies in our neck of the woods.
Thanks for the kind words....this whole retirement thing is the best job I ever had:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Congrats on the doe Stringwacker. I am 0-2 this season, evening of the 2nd and morning of the 3rd, both deer standing in the same spot at 15 yards lol. That puts me at 0-7 since going trad 4 years ago, that first kill will eventually come though.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I feel the pain on your 0-7 journey up to this point. The fact your bow hasn't been already burned in the fire place or sold at a garage sale tells me your committed to the challenge and understand it will make the first successful harvest that much sweeter.

All of us have been there. I know I probably missed that many times before I was successful...maybe even more!

One day many years ago when I was having the same issues, I thought about the fact that I was a pretty decent shot. I mean seriously...I would take a practice shot at a leaf from the tree stand at the conclusion of the morning hunt.... and drill it about 90% of the time. When I missed....I was darn close.

With that thought, a revelation hit me. Why not just aim at a leaf in front of the deer and shoot when the deer blocked it out? Obviously, you need to wait a second before you release for the shoulder to clear; but just mentally keep focused on the leaf image. I killed my very first traditional archery deer the next time I shot.

It might not work for you but did wonders for me. Once the monkey comes off your back and your confidence is instilled; it gets much easier. I’m 7-1 in my last 8 shots but I missed the one four times!!! The wheels can always come off more ways than one.

Thank goodness you never master bowhunting because it's hard; and its the hard part that keeps it interesting!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes I am committed to it and know my problem is mostly between the ears. Gave the compound away a year after starting trad and have no plans on going back. I can kill a target 95% of the time at 20yds and in but seem to have an issue on a live animal. Of my 7 misses I didn't pick a spot on 6 of them and plucked the **** out of the string on this last one.

I have since changed my shot routine and have been shooting better than ever and have confidence my first kill will come soon.....well as soon as my foot heals.

"Thank goodness you never master bowhunting because it's hard; and its the hard part that keeps it interesting!" I agree with this 100%.

Thanks for the encouragement, I will keep after it and sooner or later when I least expect it that magical day will come.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The new bow is 2-0. I was able to take this 86 pound doe early Saturday morning. It was a little smaller than I originally thought, but I know she will make some good smoked sausage.

Now if I could just shoot a mature buck, I would think of it as a complete season!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks fellows!

I have to say I can't ever remember a young deer having so much pure white body fat...obviously from the heavy acorn crop this year, I took her to a new processor for some smoked sausage (Jelen's in Madden) and I was really impressed with the facility cleanliness and people. Would like to try so other products they have. Might need to shoot one more:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.