Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember when I was a kid going to check traps with my PawPaw and having a blast doing it. Last year was my first attempt to try my hand at something I had a lot of memories of growing up. I caught 15 *****, a couple possums and 3 beavers.

This past Saturday was the first time I set out my 9 DPs but I’ve been running 3 beaver traps for about a month between two locations. So far I’ve caught 4 *****, 1 possum,1 otter and 3 beavers. I need to get more traps but I’m not doing too bad with what I have now.

It’s a lot of work, especially putting in the beaver sets, but it sure is fun. Maybe next year I’ll dab a little into coyotes/b
Grass Terrestrial animal Wood Soil Thigh

Plant Organism Grass Wood Terrestrial animal

Wood Road surface Twig Trunk Bedrock

Water resources Water Natural landscape Branch Wood

Plant Bird Organism Beak Terrestrial animal

Plant Carnivore Terrestrial animal Grass Procyonidae

Branch Wood Organism Twig Fawn

Carnivore Plant Whiskers Procyonidae Terrestrial animal

Water Natural landscape Fluvial landforms of streams Lacustrine plain Twig

· Registered
2,303 Posts
Very cool! Last year was my first time getting into DP traps. I use ZTraps with a push-pull dog. Caught 19 ***** in about 12 days in late February. This was in a pretty small area that I turkey hunt. I plan on getting out and doing the same this year.

Plant Carnivore Tree Wood Grass

Felidae Carnivore Grass Terrestrial animal Small to medium-sized cats

Wood Art Snout Road surface Fur

· Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a possum and a rat this morning…not the first time I’ve caught a rat in these.
Had a beaver stroll through last night but he avoided my conibears..I moved one of the traps to a more narrow spot so hopefully I’ll get him in the next day or so.

Plant Twig Terrestrial plant Wood Terrestrial animal

Plant Organism Twig Terrestrial plant Grass

· Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well moving the beaver trap worked out for me last night! I doubt it was the last one but I pulled everything out because I mainly need a break! I’ll start back in a couple days. This week has been pretty good-5 raccoons, 2 possums, 2 beavers and a rat. I’ll take it!
Vertebrate Grass Terrestrial animal Grass family Plant

Water Plant Branch Natural landscape Tree

Plant community Carnivore Organism Mammal Vegetation

Water resources Plant Branch Natural landscape Black-and-white

1 - 4 of 4 Posts