Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planted around 40 oaks today and needing to get some tubes around them.. Looking at the commercially available tubes on line I'm not wanting to spend that kind of money for tubes. What are some other ways of protecting the trees? Any other options for tree protectors? If not whats the best place to buy them?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Iv bought online and forestry suppliers. They can get expensive and I tube what I can afford and can't worry about the rest. Can let brush kinda grow around the group trees you don't tube for first 2 years and Mabe they don't get destroyed. Also don't prune the lower limbs of un protected oaks for couple years. Maybe tube half of them if u can't swing the cash for all of them. Metal conduit cut down to size is great tree tube stakes that will not rot.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Cut a length of 6-8 inch pvc. Slide it over the tree and roundup around it. Pull the pipe and move to the next tree. Do this after Greenup and again in mid June for the first 2 years. It's not perfect but cheaper than tubing and goes a long way toward ensuring seedling survival. Weed competition is you biggest threat on a new planting. Tube what you can afford to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can buy 48inch tubes from forestry suppliers for about $2.20 a piece. They are well worth the investment. If you fertilize and spray roundup around tubes at least twice year your trees will be busting out the top in one year. I have a bunch of trees that are 2 years old and 8feet tall. Without the tubes trees do good to survive the first year. A $100 investment will go along way for your 40 trees.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I buy from treeprotectionsupply.com out of GA. I've had good luck with the tree pro tubes staked with 1/2" conduit. Just planted 24 recently with 5' tubes. With 5' tubes they send some plastic mesh to go on the top of the tubes to keep blue birds from falling in. Why blue birds I don't know, but I've noticed they in particular like to lite on top of the 5' tubes around my place. With 4' tubes they claim they don't need the mesh. About 7 years ago I planted some saw tooths with some 4' tree pro tubes and those trees today are at least 25' plus maybe taller. Granted it was some great soil in that area but tree tubes are worth every penny IMO. They work better than fertilizer for a seedling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.