Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a friend with me and he was fishing with braid with no leader. I was using braid with a fluorocarbon leader. I told him he needed a leader but he was ok with his braid. I caught 8 keeper specks and he caught 1. One of my neighbors was fishing the same way recently and I put 3 in the box before he got a bite. He said he was convinced and tied on a leader and started catching fish. I hope if you are doing this, please try a leader and see if it helps. I am always trying to improve so if you have some advice or input please speak up and let us know.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I recently had a friend with me and he was fishing with braid with no leader. I was using braid with a fluorocarbon leader. I told him he needed a leader but he was ok with his braid. I caught 8 keeper specks and he caught 1. One of my neighbors was fishing the same way recently and I put 3 in the box before he got a bite. He said he was convinced and tied on a leader and started catching fish. I hope if you are doing this, please try a leader and see if it helps. I am always trying to improve so if you have some advice or input please speak up and let us know.
I always use a leader with braid. If nothing else at least when you get hung up, you can more easily break off. I've never fished straight braid so I can't comment on the catch ratio.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I did away with leader and braid and use straight fluorocarbon line, except for my cork rig and a rod for topwaters spooled with mono

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also always use leader with braid and I have seen an increased catch compared to others in the boat using straight braid. It also reduces tangles when casting a cork rig or topwater plug. The FG knot is great for joining braid to leader - it is a very thin knot that will flow thru microguides.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
16,287 Posts
Fluoro or mono leaders with braid. Don't leave home without them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts