Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody shooting, hanging stands, and making plans (in general) for the September 16th opener? I bought the $10 permit, have my stands up, and should get back from Colorado a few days before the opener.

Frankly, I don't expect much..... but three days in a treestand likely beats anything else that I could plan to do for those three days. With a little luck, maybe we can have some 50's for morning temps and at least make it feel like 'real' bowhunting.

I'm in the process of buying a new home place and I will be moving right after the Velvet season...might still be at it on October 1. I plan to go when I can!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I checked a few stands that I had left up from last year and replaced the straps. Due to the rain we’ve had the last 2 days it was actually pretty nice today. If we get lucky and have the same type of weather I may have to give it a whirl.

I shot my bow for the first time in quite a while today. I’ve been wanting to get after it but it’s just been too hot for my liking.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Talking about being too hot....since I've retired I'm more aware of 'how' hot it really is. I have all day to plan my desire; but only two or three hours each morning to actually do it. The rest of the day, I take refuge near the A/C. It makes the summer drag on.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I'm just ready to end my summer A/C hibernation and get moving again. I figure as unlikely as I am to kill a buck at my camp that will meet the minimums....I still might get a crack at a hog.

You have to be present to win.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anybody shooting, hanging stands, and making plans (in general) for the September 16th opener? I bought the $10 permit, have my stands up, and should get back from Colorado a few days before the opener.

Frankly, I don't expect much..... but three days in a treestand likely beats anything else that I could plan to do for those three days. With a little luck, maybe we can have some 50's for morning temps and at least make it feel like 'real' bowhunting.

I'm in the process of buying a new home place and I will be moving right after the Velvet season...might still be at it on October 1. I plan to go when I can!

Sorry velvet season is just plain dumb

·
Registered
5 Posts
I thought about going, but for a velvet season that is only 16-18 and with the heat that we’ve had and expect to have. Well to me that would be a waste of time if not also a waste of meat if it spoils. To top it off, to my way of thinking, this is just another way for gov’t to get us to do their job of CWD investigations and increase the scare to those that know nothing about it. But to all those that intend to participate, I wish you well and good luck. Hope to see some decent pictures of what’s out there.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I’m pretty sure only a small percentage will follow through with the required testing. Not many “bow hunters” these days know how to locate and pattern bucks this time of year before acorns start falling, apart from ag fields or fields with a lot of natural browse. Certainly not well enough to have a chance at killing one on a 3 day hunt. I’d bet 95% of what’s killed will be over bait or maybe mineral licks, but that’s nothing new. I have friends who are foaming at the mouth waiting on the velvet opener, they started pouring the bait to them a few weeks earlier in anticipation of them being that much more grouped up and predictable. Seriously if they wanted to do a velvet hunt, why not at least back it up to Sept 1, when the majority of bucks will be in velvet. Most bucks will be shed out before season opens.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Of course it just speculative on my part; but I suspect the velvet season starts at the mid-September dates to eventually leave room for it to extend until to October 1 'opener'. If I were a betting man; I think you will eventually see it as a 'real' black powder season (bucks only) that will require the same extra permit and CWD testing requirements.

All that legislative air gun (arrow) talk and passage allowing it to be used in CWD special seasons has to find a home somewhere where it can thrive. $$$$$$$

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bucks are in bachelor groups for a reason in early fall, leave it to MDWFP to come up with a money grab permitted hunt titled Velvet Buck Hunt. We already have a 60 day gun season, pressuring deer and pushing the rut later and later in the year. When you see spotted fawns in December I hope you take solace in the fact that this is a situation Velvet Buck Hunters played a part in.

Shackbully58

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I never complain about new bowhunting opportunities; but as I sit here Friday afternoon being sucked dry from mosquitoes before the Thermocell kicks in…I’m starting to question if it’s worth it.

Buying a special permit, limiting yourself to legal bucks, and having the CWD testing hoops to jump through all seems a bit much. I haven’t seen a thing all day.

My camp has an 18” beam requirement that limits things even further. I’m going to hunt in the morning while it’s cooler and pack it in back to the house. I’m the only guy hunting on 5k acres. I think everyone else is smarter than me:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts