Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Voluntary Recreational Red Snapper Reporting

Coastal Conservation Association Mississippi (CCA) is encouraging recreational anglers to participate in a voluntary reporting system for recreational red snapper that is being conducted by the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources (MDMR) during the 2014 season (June 1st through June 9th). The captain of each recreational vessel is being asked to answer 8 simple questions for every trip in order to assist the MDMR in efforts to gather better and more reliable data on the recreational effort and the actual number of fish being landed. Below is a copy of a landing report.

How can anglers submit a report? Only the captain of the vessel should report the catch so that one report is filed for each vessel trip. A report should be filed for every trip that targeted red snapper, even if no snapper were landed. The report may be filed in one of several ways.

1) Online - A web survey is available at www.dmr.ms.gov.
2) By Mail - Mail the survey to MS Department of Marine Resources, Attn: Finfish Bureau, 1141 Bay View Ave., Biloxi, MS 39530. (Mail in forms may be downloaded from www.dmr.ms.gov or picked up at most bait and tackle.)
3) By email at [email protected]
4) In person surveys - survey takers will be at select ramps, marinas and landing locations.
*In the future, reporting will be available by phone and through a phone App.

Why should anglers participate in this survey? The management of red snapper has been challenging and controversial. At the heart of the management issue is the need to have good data on the size of the stock, the amount of fish being harvested and the effort that is dedicated to the fishery. The MDMR believes that this data will provide better information than the statistical analyses that are currently used to develop estimates of the recreational harvest. A reliable management plan cannot be formulated without better data on both landings and the stock.
#

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
If the recreational sector of this fishery wants reasonable seasons (vs. the debacle that currently is set), it's important we participate is such efforts (and this doesn't require much effort!)

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
It is a great idea but its the commercial fishery has controll of what is going to happen. Do they have a tracking form of what they catch allll year long and is it COMPLETELY accurate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
commercial reef fish boats cannot leave the dock without notifying nmfs.nmfs agent must be there to watch them unload catch also..reef fish boats are required to have ais tracking. They don't cough without the government knowing....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Actually that is not correct. Yes all boat with a fed reef permit must call in before they leave they dock. They also have a vms system (tracking). And they must call again when the reach port and report an estimate of what they have caught and the fed inspector can come inspect and weigh the catch or noaa can send scientist to take samples. The com fisherman must leave the catch on the boat for an amount of time which I think is 6 hours after they report it to give the inspector time to get there before the catch can be offloaded. However the inspector covers hundreds of miles of coastline so very few boats get inspected before the catch is offloaded. I com fishes maybe 10 times and we never had an inspector check our catch and only once did NOAA take samples. So the com catch is reported but their catch numbers aren't accurate either

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I'm not against commercial fishing but I do believe that if they are gonna fuss about recreational fishermen catching more than thier quota it should be the same for them. Yes I've had in the back of my mind for a few years about getting my commercial license and I do know I need to learn to rules and regs But as of now I don't have one. And is it not correct that the commercial fishermen (snapper) can fish year round. Why haven't they been given a quota and a season. I do know that there is a season and quota or reds and specks Which in my mind there is more specks out there than we could imagine. If there is one on specks and reds and not for snapper and others why couldn't there be.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes they can fish all year. And they do have a quota. To commercial fish for snapper you must have a federal reef permit(which they aren't selling new ones so you would have to find somebody selling theirs). Then you would need to buy snapper shares fr somebody that is selling them.( same deal as there are only so many shares for the gulf(aka the commercial quota) I think the way commercial snapper fishing is setup is a pretty good system as it gives a fairly close accesemt for the commercial guys. However it is how the nmfa comes up with the number of snapper in the gulf that is flawed. From what I understand the nmfs only counts snapper from natural bottom areas in their accessment so most of the fish that are actually caught don't come from these numbers as most are caught from rigs and wrecks

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Only issue I have with commercial snapper fishing is the culling alot of them do. I know a couple guys and they throw back every snapper they catch over 8lbs which is a lot of them. No venting or anything like that they just float off. They only keep the ones under 8lbs bc supposedly the market pays way more per pound for the smaller ones so the more of their quota they get with under 8lb snapper the more money they make. If they would make commercial snapper keep every snapper they catch until they fill the quota it would eliminate a huge amount of the snapper they are killing. Not that the population is really in danger bc it obviously is not. Not saying all comm guys do this but I know a good do. I def have no problem with anyone making a living on the water as my family has done so for generations and even I have made a small part of mine from it but when one group is blatantly getting preferential treatment over another specifically to try to force that group out of the fishery completely there is a real problem there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts