Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took on a ton of water last time I was out in the yak. I believe I have a rip in the hull somewhere. I can see it. I was planning on sanding it down then putting some sort of sealant on it. Anyone have tips or experience for this kind of thing? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I assume you have a sit-in yak. If so, put it up on some saw horses and run a garden hose put water in. Look for where water is leaking out.

As to sealing it, if it is plastic then you'll need to either plastic weld or get one of the special kits made for repairing plastic.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume you have a sit-in yak. If so, put it up on some saw horses and run a garden hose put water in. Look for where water is leaking out.

As to sealing it, if it is plastic then you'll need to either plastic weld or get one of the special kits made for repairing plastic.
thanks. I tested it in the backyard by running a hose over it and it appears that water didn't get in. Not sure how I got so much in there in the first place. Guess I'll use it again hopefully I don't sink.

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you have a hole or break in the ABS plastic hull of a canoe or kayak, there is a solution. A few years ago West Epoxy Co. developed an epoxy resin specifically for repairing plastic boats. It is called G-Flex and was formulated to have the same expansion and contraction coefficients as ABS plastic. It is available online in fairly small quantities and comes with complete instructions on hull preparation and application.

I bought some when it first came out and used it to repair leaking abrasion holes on a Coleman canoe that someone had given me and it is still watertight to this day.

Good luck and don't throw that kayak away just yet.

FC

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks I actually just was researching this and came to the same conclusion. Epoxy is the solution. I didn't know about the specific one you listed. I will look into that. I actually caught a bunch of fish in my kayak last weekend but when i got back to the launch it was super heavy and full of water. I now know exactly where the leak is. Guess I shouldn't have dragged it across roads all these years, i thought the dang thing was indestructible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.