Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya’ll! My girlfriend got accepted for a graduate position at Mississippi State University starting in January, so we’ll be moving to Starkville come early-mid November. I’m originally from Washington, and have also lived in Idaho. We met at University of Idaho, where we both just graduated from this last spring. I graduated with a fisheries degree with a minor in aquaculture, and her with a Wildlife degree.
I’ll be looking for work (most likely on a catfish farm or something aquaculture/fisheries related), so if anyone knows of any place in the Starkville area that’s in need of help please let me know. I’m a hard, diligent worker and I have professional references that will vouch for me.
I love to hunt and fish, as well as spend time outside. My father was born and raised in Mississippi, and my girlfriend is from Arkansas so I’m somewhat familiarized with hunting/fish in the south, however I have a lot to learn. I’m particularly interested in deer hunting, hog hunting, crappie fishing, shed hunting, and learning about fishing for flatheads. I like to provide enough protein for for the two of us that we rarely have to buy any, which seems like it’s totally feasible in Mississippi.
If anyone wants to, shoot me a message to introduce yourself and or friend me on Facebook. I’ll be looking to make new friends, as I don’t currently know anyone in Mississippi. I’ll be posting some variation of this on another forum and a few Facebook groups, so don’t be surprised if you see this post again.
Thanks guys,
Logan Little.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Welcome home.
Macdaddy is our resident.catfish farmer. I think he's around Belzoni, but he may have contacts closer to moo-U.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Most of the catfish industry is in the Mississippi Delta with Belzoni labeled the catfish capital of the world. The closest catfish processor that has farming operations is Superior Catfish (Noxubee County Processors) near Macon MS which is just south of you on Highway 45.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
The only large catfish farm that I know of near MsState shut down a year or so ago and the new owner is draining the ponds (next to Hwy 82 near the airport).

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
In and around Macon/Brooksville there’s a pile of catfish ponds. If they’re not hiring they could probably point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Logan if your looking for a fisheries position I would look to work with MDWFP. There are 4 USACE (Corps) reservoirs that line I-55. One of them is named Lake Enid and it has a hatchery that the state runs there. If your wife is working out of Thompson Hall the staff there surely would have some contacts within MDWFP. If not I do have a friend the works for them and could ask to find out who to talk with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts