Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what’s the latest some of you have planted your plots before? I know rain/temps have more to do with this verses just saying a certain date. Ida kind screwed up my plans and I haven’t started on plots yet. I’ve planted Halloween weekend before waiting on good rain forecast so I’m not terribly worried…..yet.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
You’re still good…latest I’ve planted was around the 2nd week of October and they came up just fine. I wouldn’t worry.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I’ve planted the first week of November and had great plots in Dec. That’s was using winter wheat.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
This past weekend was the latest I’ve ever planted. Usually plant Labor Day weekend. I want my plots up by the opening of bow season. Most of my plots were planted two weeks ago tomorrow. They look good and the deer are hitting them already.

·
Administrator
8,617 Posts
Older man where we hunted in Hazlehurst years ago would plant his plots the weekend before gun opener. Fertilize at planting and then hit them with urea a month later. He didn't hunt them until mid December and they looked great by then. He never had to worry about army worms, heat or dry ground and his plots always came up.
I plant the last weekend in September. Sometimes that requires a lot of prayer :) There is no way I would plant any earlier.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going plant mine Saturday. I am a little early this year but have to get it done before the house repairs start.
Think I’m gonna wait 1 more weekend. I don’t see enough rain in The forecast to want to plant tomorrow. Pretty sure everyone else on lease planted already. I like being last, stays tender a tad longer into January.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How late can you plant fall food plots?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I still haven’t planted yet and besides the small % I’m seeing for tomorrow I think I’m gonna wait another week. Everyone planted in our club so I still have the idea that my plots will be the better plots come January. Sure hope I’m right! haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts