Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I are going pheasant hunting in TN on Sunday and I was wondering what choke to use in our shotguns and what size shot would be best. I have no experience pheasant hunting, but I'm thinking a modified choke with #5 or 6 shot would work. Any seasoned pheasant hunters out there?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I'm not an expert on pheasant, but i killed a many dove and quail with 7 1/2 shot with a modified choke. The set up u mention should work fine, but i do think 5 shot is a little overkill.

·
Registered
476 Posts
High brass 5's. I wouldn't use 7's. As for choke, that's up to you. I'd use a full, or modified. Depends on how good a shot you are and how close your hunting. I'm no expert tho, just from what little experience i've had with pheasants that's what i'd do.

·
Registered
16,301 Posts
Use to do a lot of pheasant hunting years back. We used mod chokes with high brass 6's.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Pen raised birds may not flush as far out as wild birds, but I would still go for high power 6's with modified choke. If you have some 4's or 5's throw them in in case the wind is blowing hard. Those roosters are slow at first, but they put on the afterburners and wind will make the shot that much tougher. Also, if you've never shot pheasants before, be sure to pull up on the rising shot. Otherwise your eye will be drawn to that long tail whipping around and you'll shoot behind him every time. Good luck and have fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts