Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last 4 trips to Pascagoula WMA (November 11 to Today) I have seen, not shot, seen, 3 squirrels. Today between 6AM and 2PM I saw zero. Prior to that I averaged about 5 shot per trip. I know today was windy, but ...........

·
Registered
819 Posts
One of the public land spots that I squirrel hunt allowed me to take 5 limits around two sloughs in October. I bowhunted it November and it was still thick with squirrels. I am willing to be that when I go back in January to squirrel hunt, they will be gone. Squirrels were rutting around in November it seemed. Maybe the females are in dens with young. I think that with leaves gone, the slickness of still hunting needs to fine tuned to kill them. I think a lot are on the ground and find that I do better mid day to late afternoon. I hope to get on some in January.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks kjb. I went in on Tuesday from 6AM to 2PM (I enjoy just walking around the swamps so I stay longer than I should). Saw 4 got 2. Both later in the day. Sure can’t sneak up on them with the dry leaves on the ground. I can usually see a few way off and creep up close enough for a shot. But lately they are just not there.
October and early November were banner weeks. I got to thinking I finally got squirrel hunting down pat. I guess I got a big bowl of humble pie instead of squirrel chili.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts